Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?

Hal3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool was cured!!!!

It has been crystal clear every day since. I have about 30 PPM CYA.
The water stays clear with 2 or 3 PPM FC.
I use tabs with the chlorinator set low. I "shock" with a large bottle of Chlorox once a week.
I add Polyquat as per the bottle for algae control although I don't know if I really need to.

NO problems!!! The pool almost maintains itself.

I think the water was just too cruddy to work with.

Hal

Hal3 said:
NO problems!!! The pool almost maintains itself.
Sounds like you really have a Trouble Free Pool!

Hal3 said:
I have had tremendous algae problems. My pool maintenance company just "fired" me. Too hard. (I think they were spending more on shock than I was paying them.)
Aren't you glad that the pool company 'fired' you!

Congratulations on taking control of your pool!

Now, when are you going to show us a pic of that beautiful new water? :lol:

Sure do miss you guys but my pool has been perfect with almost no effort.
I just replaced a corroded saddle clamp on my chlorinator even though I hardly use it.
My pool stays clear with 2ppm chlorine.
My CYA just tested 40 ppm.
I also have about 30 ppm borate.
I also added salt to about 1/4 the level that would be used for a salt chlorinator system.
I continue to add 8oz polyquat per week although I have never seen anything green since the drain and refill.

Time to start checking the water temp!

I may be ready for an ice cold dip in a week or two!

Thanks again!

:salut:

Hi Hal3!

Where have you been?! :wave:
So, your pool has been perfect with almost no effort. Sounds like you got BBB down pat! :goodjob:

Hal, if you don't mind, could you please add your city and state to your profile?

When you say
Hal3 said:
Time to start checking the water temp!

I may be ready for an ice cold dip in a week or two
....it makes us wonder where you are!!! :mrgreen:

When summer hits, with a CYA of 40, plus swimmers and warm water, you are probably going to need to reassess your 2ppm FC. I think it might be time to stop using the chlorinator. It looks like your pool is pretty shady, so you don't need to run a high CYA pool to combat full sun, and 40 is right in the suggested range of 30-50. If you continue to use the pucks (tablets) your CYA will continue to rise until you have to :shock: drain the pool again!!

jm2c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The core elements of the BBB method aren't really the specific chemicals you use, despite the name. BBB centers around using water testing to know what your water needs, using inexpensive chemicals that don't add things you don't want, and paying consistent attention to your pool so the water is kept in balance with minimal effort. Judicious use of trichlor can fit into the BBB system, as long as you are aware of what trichlor does to the water and all of those effects are appropriate given your current testing numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.