Pool Kits

I am sure many in this group bought and installed the pool themselves. Is there a pool kit supplier that would be recommended over others? (OR conversely...is there a supplier NOT to purchase this from)?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on this. I've been looking at Pool Warehouse and Royal Swimming Pools. I have seen some negative comments about National Pool Wholesalers and Specialty Pool Products (both owned by same people).

Any recommendations are helpful.

Thanks, Kevin

Hello,

I think you will find many of the sites are owned by the same people. :)

How comfortable are you doing this? Do you expect the supplier of your kit to answer lots of questions, or are you capable of going it alone with assistance here at TFP?

I am very comfortable with the idea and the prospect of doing most of this myself. I would contract out the digging to an experienced pool excavator...and the electrical part. Other then that, I am up to the challenge and looking forward to it.

Also, I would expect some help from whomever I purchase the kit from with any questions about the process I may have. Plus, I may bounce something off of this group as well.

It's not hard to install a vinyl pool, takes a little time and there are just a few things you really need to get right.
There is some technique to a few things also that are good to know, such as how to prevent the walls from moving when you pour the concrete footer.

I did prolly 60 percent of my pool myself with a little help from the PB guy giving me some guidance and a couple of helping hands here and there.
There is one thing to be said about Experience. Its what you learn just AFTER you needed it the most.

Several folks on this forum have built their own pools too

If I can give you some advice? Dont blindly accept that the pump/filter listed in the kit are optimal to the pool. They most likely will "do the job" but most likely is not be nest choice for the long term.

I actually haven't spoken to them yet but from everything I have seen online, Royal has a good reputation.

It's not hard to install a vinyl pool, takes a little time and there are just a few things you really need to get right.
There is some technique to a few things also that are good to know, such as how to prevent the walls from moving when you pour the concrete footer.

I did prolly 60 percent of my pool myself with a little help from the PB guy giving me some guidance and a couple of helping hands here and there.
There is one thing to be said about Experience. Its what you learn just AFTER you needed it the most.

Several folks on this forum have built their own pools too

If I can give you some advice? Dont blindly accept that the pump/filter listed in the kit are optimal to the pool. They most likely will "do the job" but most likely is not be nest choice for the long term.

Great advice...I already had decided to fore-go their pump and filter system and purchase upgrades from what they are offering with any of the packages I am looking at.

Another few tips..
Hire a GOOD excavator crew that has built lots of pools. They can lay it out quicker and a good machine operator will save you TONS of digging by hand.
Especially on the wall shelf. I had a really good operator and didnt have to do very much digging by hand in the hole. Lots of digging for plumbing though. Keep your shovel sharp!

When you are ready to pour the footer, then PACK concrete under the 1st step, or pack under it with gravel before you pour the footer. If you dont, the step will flex every time you step on it.

Fill under the light conduit for the 1st 3 feet or so with gravel. Dont skimp in this. Otherwise, you might suffer a broken nipple where the conduit screws into the coupling on the light niche. (ask me how I know)!

Fill in uder the skimmer and returns with gravel to support them. Same reason as the light niche.

Recommend to do all of your backfill with gravel if you have the few extra dollars to do it. Backfilling and compacting with soil is 1) a real pain and 2), will eventually settle anyway, leaving a void under your deck which can lead to preblems in the coming years.

And poolcrete / vermiculite is hard to make it look right. Man that stuff is hard to trowel and get smooth. Pretty much impossible IMO. I wish I had hired a good pro for doing that.
Or figured out a better way to do it than just using a big trowel and a 2x4.

And pack the bottom hard before doing the vermiculite. and sweep out any loose dirt !

when you order the kit, ask them if they will make the liner, so that the wall seam is located where the steps will be. That way, when you trim the liner at the steps, the wall seam will be cut out too and not be visible anywhere in the pool. The wall seam is not very attractive, at all.

Reactions: Dozenmonkeyz
Same really good tips up here.

I'll throw in a few more.

First, i'll reiterate the vermiculite. That is not easy and not easy to make it look right.

Don't take the flex pvc that comes with the kit, use 2" rigid.

Don't order the liner with the kit. Once you have the pool in and ready, measure for the liner and get a perfect fit. Took my wife and I maybe an hour to measure and it is custom, fits like a glove. Yes you have the dig sheet but the dig can be off.

When putting in the liner, bite the bullet and buy cyclone liner vac. This machine makes the liner job much easier, costs a little over $300 but then you can use it for winterizing year after year. I used 1 on my 18x36 and the line was stuck tight to the wall withing minutes and this thing ran a looooooong time as I filled from my well.

Get a massive tarp. If you are like me it will take a while to complete. Mine took 4 months total, started in March and filled it July 1. I used the tarp to cover, let it fall down in basically like a liner. Rain would pool in it, then when I was read to work I would throw the pump down in and pump it out and pull the tarp back to a nice work area (ie not mud).

When calculating vermiculite, order more than you need. It is cheap enough, inexperience will dictate you will use more than a pro. We ran out and I had a 7x7 area that had to wait 1 week to get finished until I got more.

Rent a tranist! This device will make life much, much easier. You use it to check the height of all the wall to make sure they are consistent. You then use it to check the depth of the pool floor in various place to make sure it too is level and accurate. Might even try to buy one used and then sell it when done. I was fortunate in I had family who had one.

Buy lots and lots of string line!

Measure, measure, measure. I am overly detailed but I measured and tweaked a ton to make sure the pool was square and square to the house.

Buy a wetsuit! lol .. for me, my well water was a brisk 55 degrees. To cut in the light in the deep end I had plans to go out on a blow up raft and cut it in. That went horribly wrong, so I bit the bullet and went in walking the edge so mainly just legs in the water. It was painful! The alternative was to hang over the edge and do the work, this seemed like a bad idea to me hanging over with a razor cutting the liner. I could see me dropping it in the deep end!

Reactions: Dozenmonkeyz
what ssgumby says,

Lots and Lots of string for string lines, and transit or laser level, and yes .... measure measure measure.... . After you pour the footer, there are no more chances to get it right.
and a LOT of 3 ft long wooden stakes and big hammer. You will need a lot of wooden stakes. You can saw up a couple of stakes to make wedges out of if you need to shim under a wall.

Good idea on the tarp!

I busted tail from dig till water. 5 weeks of 14 hour days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.