New Filter Cartridge, New Pump - What to get?

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
We had some construction done around our pool this winter, and there was a lot of debris in the pool. I was having to clean the filter 5+ times per day for a while. Anyway, the cartridge is destroyed - All the bands are off, the fabric is no longer white, and it looks all ratty and falling apart.

I have a Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200, which takes a 120 SqFt cartridge. Is there a particular brand I should get? I see one by Pleatco. Is that one any good?

Also, the pump has been on hit's last legs for a while. It seems to work ok, but it is really loud. For example, i have to turn it off if I want to watch TV (yes, inside) because the thing is so loud. I've had some people tell me Variable Speed is the way to go, and others tell me don't waste my money. The current one is 1.5HP. So what brands/types should I be looking for?

Thanks!
-Matt

Pleatco is a good filter. I doubt you could find a better one.

As for the pump, I think most of us would recommend a 2 speed pump because of initial costs and it will do the job. Almost all the time it would be on low speed and wouldnt be nearly as loud.

No doubt though, the VS pumps are very nice, super quiet and have a lot of great features. Unless your electric costs are over .20 kwh, it probably wouldnt pay for itself in electric cost savings. But, if the programming and super quiet features are important, then thats something to consider.

I LOVE my VS pump and if it went south on me, I would put another one just like it.

+1 on loving my Pentair VS pump. I like mine so much I just might buy another one so it will have friend. :mrgreen:

I bought a set of Pleatco filters for my Pentair cartridge filter and I like them a lot better than the original Pentair cartridges. They are easier to clean, clog up less, last longer and my pool looks just as clean either way. My next set of filters will definitely be Pleatco.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.