Light Plan for New Build - Suggestions?

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
I have another thread going on general design suggestions, but this thread is specifically targeted at getting feedback on my lighting plan. I'm currently planning to use 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Pool (LED) lights (on each long end at locations A and B (red text)) and 2 Pentair Globrite (LED) lights on the tanning ledge, as shown in the drawing below. I think this arrangement will be sufficient, but my only concern is possibly having a dead spot right in front of the waterfall. Anyone else (with experience) think that may be a dead spot? Total length of pool is about 36 feet. Other dimensions shown below.

If so, I'm considering the following options, unless someone else suggests something better:

1. Move the Intellibrite Pool light at location B to location C or D, but I'm not sure this won't create other dead spots
2. Add another Intellibrite Pool light at location C. Pretty sure this would solve the problem, but obviously more expensive.
3. Add an Intellibrite Spa light at location C. Not as expensive as the Pool light, but not sure if the light will reach (~11 feet) to the waterfall.
4. Add an Intellibrite Spa light at location E. This would solve the dead spot problem, but I would prefer not to have any pool lights directly facing the house (which is nearest the tanning ledge).

I do not plan to use dark plaster and pool depth will be about 4.5 feet in this area. Any thoughts?

You might want to consider adding a bubbler on the Tanning Shelf so that the umbrella hile is between both bubblers. I think two bubblers would be a really nice look. As for the light I agree with you that another one on position C would be best.

Yeah, the 3rd light in location C works, but adds about another $1500 b/c that light will require another relay on my controller, which I don't have. So, I'd have to upgrade from the i5+3S personality kit to the i9+3S kit. This really bites! I know I could add lights to the same relay, but then I lose my ability to control them independently for different colors.

Currently I have 4 relays to work with. The 5th (1st) relay is basically useless because it belongs to the "Filter" pump operation and cannot be used for "alternate" functions (so I've been told by Pentair). I don't need it for pumps b/c I'm using 2 Intellipro pumps. What a waste!! That leaves the 4 remaining relays assigned as follows:

1 = Intellibrite 5G Pool Light #1
2 = Intellibrite 5G Pool Light #2
3 = Two (2) Intellibrite Globrites
4 = Landscape and Waterfall Lights

If only there was a simple way to control my landscape/waterfall lighting (ideally) through a phone app or a simple on/off remote, but not through the IntelliTouch controller. Then I could knock off about $1000 for the addition of the 3rd pool light.

I'm not sure why you would want light 1 and 2 on different relays. I think you will want both of them to be on th same color at all times. I could see why you migt want the contrast for the Tanning Shelf, however. The landscape and waterfall lights can be done wirelessly and controlled by your iphone as well. My electrician is offering me Lutron Casetta Dimmers ($280)and a switch inside house to control them. For another $185 he is offering me the ability to control them on IPhone. what about your bubbler. Don't you want to control that? And is the bubbler an LED?

You're probably right to combine the Pool lights, especially now that I would have 3, and leave the tanning ledge separate. That would actually free up one relay, which would be nice to have just in case. If I can control the landscape/waterfall lights through the IntelliTouch system, I'd rather do that than running a Lutron Caseta setup, although that is a very cool gadget...will definitely keep these in mind!

The bubbler will not have a light in it...just water, so no issues there. To control the flow of the bubbler, I plan to have a manual valve mounted in the deck close by (see below). I may or may not add an automated control to it. It will be on the same circuit as the pool returns.

Re: NUMBER OF LEDs

Moved to a more appropriate thread by Divin Dave

Sorry to hijack, but what software are you using in that 2nd picture? I'm designing my own pool in AutoCAD (2D), and would love to get something going in a real 3D pool modeling program (if not too expensive, obviously) to help visualize things better. I wouldn't need all the detail in my AutoCAD plans, just the basic surface elements. Any suggestions?

I can confirm that second picture is Pool Studio. We worked with LED lighting manufacturers to get the spread of the lights correct. This will vary by light model manufacturer, though the 3D placement will give your client a great idea of how it will look... and if additional lights are needed :)

Pool Studio Lights.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.