BBQ Island Construction Questions

Aug 31, 2008
Well I was browning the old BBQG forums trying to get information before they went down but luckily I found this forum now. I have a few questions. I am going to be building a few different islands in the back yard from steel studs and hardiboard. The local HD only had 2 1/2 steel studs. Is that strong enough or should I try to look around for some 3 5/8" ones. The islands are going to be granite slad tops and my BBQ is a firemagic elite 50 so I am going to have some serious weight in the island. I was planning on using 1/4" hardiboard for the sides and 1/2 for the tops. 1/4" should be fine for the sides correct? Finally I was going to raise the island off the patio using some Trex. Are people lining the entire underside of the island or just blocks here and there?

Thanks!!!

Dave, thanks for the information. The top is going to be 2cm with a 4cm bull nose edging. One other question I had come up as I starting building one of the islands. This island is a 10' long and will be used primarily as a serving island. I ended up buying two 42" stainless double doors for the island with the plan to use the inside of the island for storage of various things around the yard. My concern is how can I reinforce the top of the island to support the granite so it will not crack if someone sits or stands on the island. The back of the island is strong since I put vertical supports every 12" but the front only has a few supports. I was thinking of building a steel frame out of some 1" tube and putting that inside of the steel stud frame so the granite would be fully supported. I figured that would work fine but would be some extra work and costs. Anyone have any ideas on an easier way to support the granite?

Thanks!

If it is going to be professionally installed, they will use a bed of mud to build up the top. For 2 CM they tell me 1/4" HB is fine. If you go with 3 CM, then it can sit on the studs as it is thick enough as is.

That said, can you put some verticle support, like a partition between the 2 door frames? Also, just as you would in building a house, a support beam made of several steel studs, across the front, pop riveted together should be fine.

Why would anyone stand or sit on it anyway? I have stood on mine and it is built as previously described. I had to rescue my cat off the roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.