Styrofoam Foamboard as a pool base??? Need advice and specifics PLEASE.

pcloud

May 2, 2014
Colorado
I am wanting to put in a 30' round AGP this spring and read that it was possible to use foamboard insulation as the base and padding. Has anyone tried this with success? What thickness size works best? How does it feel on the feet and will I need another source of padding on top of the foam to make it comfortable for little feet and toes?

Most people who've used the foam board for their Intex pools have used 1/2-3/4" foam. They have recommended to use duct tape on the seams (3 strips per seam). It is plenty soft on the feet but it can get expensive. Sand is just as good and a lot cheaper to use.

Thank you, Casey. I put a pen to it last night and figured it would be in the neighborhood of $500 for the base alone. That is steep, but I was really hoping that the foam would insulate and extend our usability by a month or so. Thanks again for input. I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy the 2" stuff that is on sale.

You lose most of your heat from the surface of the water. By not running your pump at night and keeping the pool covered, you'll retain most of your heat.

You're welcome!

I have also found, in heating my pool, that it warms the fastest when the cover and pump are off and the suns rays can beat the whole way through the water to the bottom of the pool. And then covering it at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.