leaking pool

Mar 13, 2015
las vegas
Hi,
I have an in-ground fiberglass pool which started leaking,1 INCH daily,about a month ago.I called my pool guy
and he suggested to let it go to find out where it will stop.
well it was 1/2 way above the pool light.Then we drained the pool and resealed the light,filled it up again and
still was leaking.another pool guy told us it could be the equalizer line.so we drained it again,plugged the line on
both ends,refilled and it still leaks.I called the local leak detection company and they told me it only could be
on of the previous problems and did not charge me and told me it was a waste of time looking for leaks inside the pipes.
what else can there be done??I am pretty desperate at this time.Can we permanently plug the light??Will that
solve the problem.Please help anybody who might have suggestions.Peter

peter,
the most common reason for leaking at the light is where the conduit behind the niche screws into it. If the trench wasnt backfilled, at least to conduit level, the as the ground settles, it put tremendous pressure on the conduit, and the weak point is where teh conduit screws into the coupling on the light niche.

If that is where its leaking, you wont find it with dye by squirting it around the face plate. Its too far away. You would have to remove the light fixture to get to that spot.

A 1" a day leak is fairly slow, which can make it difficult to get a clear result from the dye test.

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, it is worth going around the entire pool and checking everything at the level of the light to see if there are any cracks or other fittings at that same height.

Leaks can be very difficult to pin down.

peter,
the most common reason for leaking at the light is where the conduit behind the niche screws into it. If the trench wasnt backfilled, at least to conduit level, the as the ground settles, it put tremendous pressure on the conduit, and the weak point is where teh conduit screws into the coupling on the light niche.

If that is where its leaking, you wont find it with dye by squirting it around the face plate. Its too far away. You would have to remove the light fixture to get to that spot.

Hi,again.we tried putting dye inside the light with NO result.is there a way to completely seal the hole of the light even if we have no more light.Better than filling it with water every few days.Thanks for you help.Peter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.