Please help with cartridge filter recomendations

Are you looking for replacement cartridges or a new filter?

For a 12k gallon pool, presumably in AZ {Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.}, I would suggest a minimum of a 175sqft cartridge filter ... take your pick of brands as they are all pretty similar. There is no problem going even bigger ... will just reduce the frequency of having to clean it.

Can I ask why you are getting such a large VS pump? Seems like you might be able to get one of the newer smaller VS pumps, like the Maxflow VS or Superflo VS. Or for that matter, just get a 2-speed pump.

Thanks for advice, updated my signature with location, I left AZ about six years ago. My electric company won't offer a rebate on the max or superflo for some reason, I think they just haven't updated their list. So, with the $200. rebate I chose the Intelliflo. My pool gets light usage and low amounts of debris, could I get by with a 120 square ft?

Is there any significant differences between the three Hayward models I found online:

Hayward SwimClear C150S Single Element Cartridge Filter, 150 Square Feet or the

Hayward C12002 Star-Clear 120-Square-Foot 2-Inch SKT Pipe Cartridge Pool Filter

Hayward Star-Clear Plus 120 sq. ft. (2'' FIP)

Thanks again,
Jay

We have certainly seen the smaller VS pumps on many of the CA rebate lists ... odd that yours does not.

You can "get by" with any filter you want. Our recommendations try to make the pool more trouble free. You will just have to clean it more often and need to be careful you do not try to push too much water through it with your giant pump.

I do not know the differences between those (besides one being 150sqft). Have you check the Hayward site?

The location would be more obvious if you put it in the profile instead of your signature.

Thanks, I updated profile. I just noticed that Pentair also has a similar line of filters, how do they match-up to the Hayward models? I'm getting new Pentair solar touch controller and pump so wonder if it's best to get same brand filter?

Thank you,
Jay

Basically ... Ford vs. Chevy

No need to match equipment ... unless they will give you a longer warranty if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time. Pentair was doing that, but not sure if they still do.

I like the pentair filters, because they are a prettier color.
:)

really though, like Jblizzle said, ford vs chevy. They both work equally well. And I do belive Pentair is still offering 3 year warranty if you buy 3 of their products at the same time. This might be especially valuable just because the intelliflo is so expensive.

Pentair still does offer the extended warranties for three pieces of equipment purchased together and installed by an authorized service company. A little more input to your initial question - the Intelliflo pump will need to be calibrated/programmed according to the the maximum flow rate of your filter allows. The Intelliflo pump, at full speed (3450 RPM's) is a 3 horsepower pump that I have personally seen destroy many filters. Just make sure that the installer has some knowledge of hydraulics and previous experience with programming these pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.