Algae I.D. PLEASE!

Since I put my solar cover on for the start of the spring season (and figured out how to get it to stay down) the amount of stuff blowing into my pool has decreased considerably. I do brush when I add bleach (about every other day), and I know that a lot of what is in there is just plain dirt. I have not done a good vacuuming lately, but the water is staying clear. The solar cover is also filthy, so that is what was ending up in my pool. In my rural area, there is plenty of dirt, grass trimmings, pollen, bug bits, seeds, you name it, that ends up in the pool. I am learning to accept that the bottom will never be PERFECTLY clean. When the water starts getting a little dull or cloudy looking, then I know I am headed for algae and crank up the bleach. Since I have added the borates, the water has stayed very clear. Also, the addition of the DE to my sand filter has eliminated the need for the skimmer socks for now. Of course, there is still a most of summer left, and the next round of the pollen wars starts soon. Still beats swimming in the disgusting lakes around here.

This pic was taken 3 days after a complete brushing.You can see where I brushed one strip and tell the amount of "stuff"has accumalated in 3 days.That would have to be A heck of alot of POLLEN to coat the bottom that fast!and I never see anything floating on the top.If it were pollen...wouldnt it sit on top of the water befor it sank to the bottom?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/buzzbait00/DSC00038.jpg

I've just got through shocking at 20ppm.It took 36gal of bleach.Every thing looks great right now!but I know in a week or so the bottom will start turning green with the "STUFF" agin!and if I have to put 36gal a week and spend 2 days shocking,2 or3 days letting the chlorine levels fall back doun and get to swim the other 2 days!!IM DRAINING IT AND BUYING A SKATEBORD!!!

Can you please post a full set of numbers so we can help you figure this out. We wouldn't want you to break your neck trying to skate in a vinyl lined pool if the wheels sink in. You may just go flying into the end wall head first from the momentum. :wink:

That is green- a bit too green for pollen in our area, but maybe in yours it is greener. In our area the bottom will get nearly that fuzzy with pollen when it is really flying, but it is more of a yellow tan color. Dirt in the pool in our area is grey brown and makes a very distinct pattern . The one time it got that green and fuzzy, it was the start of an algae outbreak. I had pollen and dirt already in there, and the pool got contaminated- algae resulted very quickly. Maybe the high load of dirt and pollen already in there helped it along- gave it extra food?

With elevated FC levels like that, either that is dead algae or pollen.

You should be brushing every day while you are at shock level. If you do, there shouldn't be that much stuff on the bottom of the pool.

JasonLion said:
With elevated FC levels like that, either that is dead algae or pollen.

You should be brushing every day while you are at shock level. If you do, there shouldn't be that much stuff on the bottom of the pool.

The pic was pre-shock.Numbers are post-shock.I do brush wile shocking.Shocking and brushing does clear it up but not for long.

If it is algae, it won't reappear while you are at shock level. If it is pollen it will behave the same when you are shocking as it does when you are not shocking. The picture with the brush track does look very much like algae.

You might want to try the full mustard algae sequence. That really ought to kill just about anything (except black algae). First shock at normal levels, brushing absolutely everything, until the FC level holds overnight, and then shock for an additional 36 hours at high shock level again brushing absolutely everywhere. Also be sure to soak all pool toys in the pool while at high shock level and wash swim suits, as mustard algae can hide on things outside the pool and be reintroduced at a later time when you use those toys again or wear that bathing suit again.

To keep it from coming back, you also need to make sure you are maintaing appropriate FC levels at all times, and aim your returns for optimal circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.