Best eyeball return for flow

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
A posting by ifyjetzzz, concerned about only having 2 returns reminded me of a question I had. I have a 16' x 40' pool with 3 returns. One return, in the deep end short wall is pointed down to promote mixing flow. The other 2 returns are on opposing ends of the two long walls, and I have them aimed to try and promote some counter-clockwise flow.

The pool was built in 1959 and the original 2 returns on the long walls were embedded copper pipes that came through the walls at a very low angle, so they really did a great job promoting rotation. When the pool was re-plastered, the copper pipes were removed and replaced with PVC that came through at 90 degrees to the wall. Surface rotation is now dismal with plenty of dead zones in the pool corners.

I've locked the eyeballs at about 45 degrees in the direction I want flow. That's the extreme of their position adjustment and when they're adjusted that way, the hole through the eyeball is half blocked by the body of the return, much like a ball valve hole gets restricted the further the valve is closed.

So, is there a style or brand of return that's better suited for extreme angles or do I have to do some plastic porting and polishing to improve flow?

Thanks.

I believe there are some fittings that turn the flow 90 degrees to is go right along the surface ... Are your the ones that stick out from the wall or embedded in the wall?

New to pools myself, but when I got mine two of the three eyeballs where missing the one left was the normal one you are describing that become partially covered when orientated in the direction you want them. I did some internet searching and came across the 'Infusion Venturi return'. These where a little bit more expensive, but allow better positioning without any loss of flow and when compared to the one standard one I had in any which position you put them in really do move the water about so may be worth considering. I'm not back to my pool until middle of April but can post some pics then if you can wait.

I have never had any problems aiming standard eyeball fittings at right around 80-85 degrees to the side. There is a fairly narrow range where they are aimed sharply to the side and still work without blocking the flow, but it is easy enough to find if you just fiddle with it a little.

You might be a condidate to try a couple of slotted return fittings. Dont know how much if any improvement you might get though.

http://www.poolzoom.com/hayward-hydrostream-fitting-return-jet-slotted-sp1419a.html

They've definitely got the directional aspect figured out and it looks like the narrow slot can focus the power of the flow.

I have never had any problems aiming standard eyeball fittings at right around 80-85 degrees to the side. There is a fairly narrow range where they are aimed sharply to the side and still work without blocking the flow, but it is easy enough to find if you just fiddle with it a little.

Here's a photo. At closer inspection I realized that I'm getting only about 35 degrees off of perpendicular, not the 45 I thought. I hear what your saying that there is a perfect combination of angle and flow but I think I need that point to be at a much greater angle than I'm already at. The left side of the eyeball in the picture sure looks like a perfect turbulence generator.

IMG_1376.jpg

New to pools myself, but when I got mine two of the three eyeballs where missing the one left was the normal one you are describing that become partially covered when orientated in the direction you want them. I did some internet searching and came across the 'Infusion Venturi return'. These where a little bit more expensive, but allow better positioning without any loss of flow and when compared to the one standard one I had in any which position you put them in really do move the water about so may be worth considering. I'm not back to my pool until middle of April but can post some pics then if you can wait.

Decent shape and direction. Don't need it for the warm water infusion they promote but may be able to take advantage of the direction and flow benefits.

I use a slightly different style of fitting, more like this one:
Casey-ReturnEyeball.jpg

and then really push it much further to the side than shown in the picture.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.