Heat Pump Install

Dibbler

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 27, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

I have just purchased a Heat Pump(HP) to try and extend the swim season here a little, I have a couple of questions as I will be doing the plumbing, then get the Sparky to wire it up.

Reading up it seems the SWCG still needs to be last in line, in the schematics there seems to be a bypass valve to cut out the HP, presumably this is as simple as 2 x T's with a valve between, is this just for bypass or for some sort of 'balancing' does all the water need to go through the HP all the time if its in use?

Would it make sense to put a one way valve before the SWCG now to prevent any backflow from the SWCG in to the HP, its a Titanium Heat Exchanger.

The most important question: The unit is approx. 1000mm x 500mm x 350mm I have an equipment shed approx. 2M x 2M x 1.5M clad in Slatted Timber with 5mm slat holes, there is plenty of ventilation in a normal sense, but would it be a daft idea to try and site the HP inside the shed or would that likely cause issues with the functionality of the HP. I'd rather not have it outside the shed if it is at all possible...

You can just see the shed at the end of the picture here (in construction) https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu5mguf53se9bd2/IMG_1416.JPG?dl=0

IMG_1416a.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

The manual should give you the space requirements needed for the heat pump. That is what determines if should put it in the shed or not.

There is no need for a check valve with a SWG since it is not generating when there is no flow.

The bypass is optional, but may as well add it. Some use 3 valves the one you described and then 2 on the inlet and outlet of the heater to completely isolate the heater from any flow.

if the shed has a roof, you will likely have issues with performance of the Heat Pump. That big fan at the top will be spitting out pretty cold air. Air that is colder then current air temps. It is likely to try and pull heat out of air that has already gotten pretty cold from heat extraction. You might be fine during the day with Sun beating down on the shed, but not at night when it gets cooler outside.

if the shed has a roof, you will likely have issues with performance of the Heat Pump. That big fan at the top will be spitting out pretty cold air. Air that is colder then current air temps. It is likely to try and pull heat out of air that has already gotten pretty cold from heat extraction. You might be fine during the day with Sun beating down on the shed, but not at night when it gets cooler outside.

Shed has a Polycarbonate roof under the wood, This is what I was afraid of, looks like it needs to be outside then, I guess it can be part cladded to try to conceal it a little

Thanks, Simon

You can plant some shrubs around it but keep them trimmed properly so they don't over grow the unit and if needed, the repair guy can get to it with no issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.