My first fight with Algae

How do you SLAM after using Algaecide? My FC is 7 and CYN is 106. Phosphor is 800. Thanks.

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to TFP! I started a new thread for your post. Please start a new thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's thread. Plus, posting your question in a new thread is more likely to get responses and gives your question the attention it deserves. Thanks and enjoy the forum! --BoDarville, TFP Moderator[/FONT]

I just brushed the yellow spots showed up and used one bottle of Algae killer. They all gone for now. My Phosphor is at 800 ppm that Algae may feed on. FC is at 7 after two gallons of liquid Chlorine from pool supply. But CYN is at 106! Do I need to SLAM? How to SLAM? Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, forget about algae killer, phosphates, nitrates, and all the other buzz words and potions.

How did you get a CYA value of 106ppm?
Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Yes, you most certainly need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. But, if that CYA is correct, you need to replace half of your water first.

Have you discovered Pool School? I suggest you take a look at these to be sure we are speaking the same language:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also, Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Re: First ever battle with algae

Are these cases of bleach you used more cost effective than those Chlorine bottles from pool supply?

Yun

Depends on what you have available locally. You can use the tool found in this thread to calculate and compare costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Bo and I were stepping all over each other trying to clean this up. I have now merged all your posts into this single thread. Keep all your related questions together please. Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, forget about algae killer, phosphates, nitrates, and all the other buzz words and potions.

How did you get a CYA value of 106ppm?
Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Yes, you most certainly need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. But, if that CYA is correct, you need to replace half of your water first.

Have you discovered Pool School? I suggest you take a look at these to be sure we are speaking the same language:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also, Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Since CA is in bad drout, may I conserve my pool water by adding phospher remover, vac off and back wash to drop down the 800ppm phosphor level?

I got my CYN level at the pool shop after using "winterize kit" that contained powder chlorine and algae killer. I back washed a few times after cleaned up my DE filter. CYN dropped from 140 to 106. May I drop CYN further after phosphor remover and back wash a few more times? So far the water is clear w/o sign of Algae. I know dumping half (15K gallon) of water is the best solution, but CA is in bad drout.

Nothing lowers the CYA level besides physically removing and replacing water.
Stop wasting money worrying about phosphates. The "remover" is not doing anything to lower your CYA ... the backwashing is.

CYA is the test that the pool stores are notoriously the worst at getting correct. I would not trust any of those numbers.

Have you ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits? You can get the tf-100 from PoolSupplyWorld.com in CA who is a redistributor for tftestkits.net

EDIT: The only other way to lower the CYA is by hiring a Reverse Osmosis company to come out and do it ... which may not even be available in your area and generally is >$400.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.