Freeze damage to Jacuzzi Tri-clops filter and Jandy NeverLube valves

Mar 12, 2015
Buford, Georgia
Hi all,

TL;DR - Freeze busted my Jacuzzi tri-clops filter on a 23k gallon pool. Replacement part is $600. Is there an alternative that would be better or cheaper?

I am a relatively new pool maintain-er. My in-laws own the house and we have been renting from them for two years. Due to this, I have not learned a whole lot about the system other than how to clean the filters and balance the water. The pool is 23,000 gallons, inground, Pebble Tec, with a spa/heater. Jandy contol board and valves, Jacuzzi pump and filter.

Unfortunately, since they moved there have been some problems with the pool's control board/automation that I haven't been able to afford to get fixed. Because of this (and my own dumbness), the pump was turned off on an unusually cold night where I live and therefore freeze protection was not active. I came home from work to find that our Jacuzzi TriClops filter had split down the side (bottom half) and water was pouring out. In addition two Jandy NeverLube valves burst.

I turned the valves such that it is no longer leaking for the most part, and have been saving money for repairs.

I've learned that Jacuzzi is no longer in business, and that the replacement part is still available for about $600. My question for you all is- Do you know of any alternatives that would be cheaper, or better for the same price? What should I look into?

Update: Decided to go with a Hayward C4030. It is 425 square feet, with four cartidge filters. Amazon sells for about $750 with free shipping and it includes the cartridges... This is going to be much cheaper as the replacement part for the Tri-clops was ~$600, and since the filters needed replacing too, that would've been an additional ~$240. This way I'll save about $100 and get a new, better filter, and another $70 every time I have to replace the cartridges too.

Heads up. Leslie's wanted to charge $1,100 for this filter and $139 for installation. No thanks. Pretty sure I can do it myself.

That is a nice big filter that is going to work well for you ... assuming you stay on top of the chemistry as fighting an algae battle with a cartridge filter is a real hassle. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.