Terrible pool design for circulating water - ideas?

Jun 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We bought the house late last year and didn't bother opening the pool before winter. I just noticed that there are only two return jets in our entire (14x29) pool and one of the return jets is underneath the water feature (waterfall) where most of the filtered water is returned to the pool.

This is an inground pool with concrete decking all the way around the pool so I'm not seeing any 'easy' way to add more pool jets.

I see this as a huge problem for water circulation. Anyone have any reasonable solutions to getting the water to circulate better? With this revelation, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to quickly get an automatic cleaner to help keep the stagnant areas of the pool clean.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

A cleaner (robot) is very likely the most effective idea. It'll do it's job of cleaning well and provide the circulation benefit almost free.

The other idea is simply to wait and observe what your pool really does. Sometimes what looks ineffective will surprise you as not being so bad after all.

No, wind's not the issue.

The pool is north of the house with the skimmer on the east side of the pool. Wind is predominantly from the South/southwest blowing to the north/northeast so the house shelters most of the wind, with a bit of favoritism of the wind toward the skimmer.

I was very surprised to see so few (2) jets in a pool this size.

I have a 8x4M Pool with 2 return jets only on the long edge same side as the skimmer, Looking back I don't believe the PB gave the positioning more than a moments thought, however clever adjustment of the 'eyeball' seems to create 2 x vortex's and seems to do the job. I have a robot cleaner too which does the rest.

Mine is similar in size, with two returns. To me, their job is to keep some surface rotation so the skimmer catches more stuff. Whatever sinks, the bottom cleaner takes care of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I got spoiled with the pool in the house that I rented. It was only a little larger and had jets throughout the floor of the pool that really moved the water around so I didn't have to run the pump for a long time in order to turn all of the water in the pool.

Jets in the floor of the pool may have been an in floor cleaning system. That system is designed to move all the floor debris towards/into the main floor drains of your pool reducing/eliminating the need to run a cleaner or vacuum

Yes, it was a great system. It feels like I've gone from a BMW 7 series to a BMW 1 series. It's still a BMW, but doesn't have the bells and whistles.

One thing this pool has is an inpool vacuum port to hook up a pool cleaner without using the skimmer. However, the port is a little bit too small for me to put a regular sized pool cleaning hose in it. I may opt for a less expensive pool cleaner this year just to see how it does and once I've gotten used to the pool's habits, figure out which pool cleaner features I need most. I'm starting to think a cleaner that captures sediment will be important. I'm thinking that something inexpensive like a Zodiac (Baracuda) G3 would be fine for now and use some money for either a SWG or a pool heater.
I had thought that I'd need to change my pool filters, but I gave them a thorough cleaning yesterday and they're working much better right now. The filters are a bit worn but I think I can get by with them for most of this next summer without replacing them.

I also figured out how to divert some of the water away from the waterfall to the 2 underwater jets so that more water is coming from the underwater jets; doing so seems to increase pool circulation.

I'm thinking that something inexpensive like a Zodiac (Baracuda) G3 would be fine for now and use some money for either a SWG or a pool heater.

I have the G2, and it actually works quite well on my pool. But I have very tropical landscaping, so no leaves wind up in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.