Starting from scratch.....

May 14, 2014
Space Coast, FL
OK, so I checked in here for the first time last year prior to the summer. I had planned on taking over my pool care from the local chain store but things just got in the way. They had been treating it for years with a chlorine tablet feeder system and as such my CYA levels were through the roof.......est. at over 200 at the time.

See original thread HERE

My situation has not improved, and the tablet feeding system is becoming less and less effective, creating frequent blooms of algae in the warmer summer months where my water temp frequently gets at or above 88 degrees.

I have drained the pool almost entirely and a bulk water delivery service is coming tomorrow to fill it back up. Pool volume is approx. 12K gallons (I will get an accurate measurement from the delivery company tomorrow), and he can only legally carry 6K gallons, so it will take two trips.

Here is what it looks like now:

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

So, any tips? I already have the TF-100 kit at the ready.

Perform a battery of tests once the pool is filled and use Pool Math to get me where it needs to be?

Fill it up. Circulate for an hour. Then perform the full battery of tests. Post up the results if you would like pointers on what to adjust.

You will likely want to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to ensure that everything is cleaned up. So I would get the CYA to about 30ppm and adjust the pH and then SLAM.

Im just curious, did he give you any analysis of the fill water, and are you having it delivered for speedy filling? Or, is something wrong with your fill water?
I'm on a well. Pumping 12,000 gallons would require my pump to run 24/7 a few days straight to fill it up, and is very brackish. Not to mention the risk of collapsing the well. By filling it with water that is already clean, I'm hoping to avoid a lot of headaches. Yes, the initial cost might be higher, but I don't have time to SLAM a swamp........I need a "clean sheet."

I would even go ahead and put some chlorine in the water that is left to keep it from staining.

Maybe take the light out and clean it up good with chlorine as well.

Have you found YOUR best/cheapest/easiest source for bleach/chlorine? Mine is the ACE Hardware up the road. It is 11% and gets refilled quite often so is good and strong.

Welcome to a TROUBLE FREE Pool! It is cheaper also.

Oh and go shopping for some CYA at walmart as well.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you found YOUR best/cheapest/easiest source for bleach/chlorine? Mine is the ACE Hardware up the road. It is 11% and gets refilled quite often so is good and strong.

Welcome to a TROUBLE FREE Pool! It is cheaper also.

Oh and go shopping for some CYA at walmart as well.

Kim
Yea, I have a local ACE that is my closest resource as well. Already get my salt for our water softener there every few weeks. I'll have to check and see what they carry.

What other items (and how much?) should I have handy to prep the pool other than a good amount of chlorine and some CYA?

I'm assuming the delivered water should be pretty pH balanced, but maybe some borax/muriatic acid just in case? Calcium chloride? Etc.?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Here is a link to pool math. Play around with it to get a feel for how it works.

THIS will be the best way to find out how much CYA to buy. Know that your fill water will be at 0 CYA and go from there.

Shoot low when you do add. As you know it is much easier to go up than down!

I use the yellow jugs I "rent" from ACE to get my chlorine. I get 4 at a time and keep them in a pool box that is kept in the shade. I have a 2 cup measuring cup I use for only for adding chlorine. I add mine at night so it has plenty of time to "work" without losing any to the sun.

Kim

Two trips of water later, and I'm still about a foot short of completely filled, so using the well to fill up the rest.

Once complete, I will let the water circulate through the system for an hour or two before taking some initial tests. I will post up results at that time.

OK, pool is filled. With the 12,000 gallons added from the two trips from the truck, it took another 5.25 hours to fill it up the rest of the way using my well. At 8gpm that means it took another 2,500 gallons, plus approx. 500 gallons that I was not able to drain from the pool. Total volume is now estimated at 15,000 gallons.

So, with that, I took the first battery of tests:

FC = 0 (duh)
pH = 7.8
CC = 0 (duh)
TC = 0 (duh)
CH = 175
TA = 170
CYA = 0 (duh)

Here are the chemicals I just added:

213oz of 10.5% chlorine to get up to SLAM level of 12 FC.
Approx. 3 lbs. 12 oz. of CYA to get it to approx. 30.
Approx. 24oz. of muriatic acid to get pH down to 7.5.
Approx. 142oz. of calcium chloride to get CH up to 260.

I tried to stay on the lean side of these estimates at first.

I will be running the system overnight to really get things settled without the sun beating down on everything and will take another set of tests first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. From there I will test every few hours for FC and see how things are shaping up from there.

OK, pool is filled. With the 12,000 gallons added from the two trips from the truck, it took another 5.25 hours to fill it up the rest of the way using my well. At 8gpm that means it took another 2,500 gallons, plus approx. 500 gallons that I was not able to drain from the pool. Total volume is now estimated at 15,000 gallons.

So, with that, I took the first battery of tests:

FC = 0 (duh)
pH = 7.8
CC = 0 (duh)
TC = 0 (duh)
CH = 175
TA = 170
CYA = 0 (duh)

Here are the chemicals I just added:

213oz of 10.5% chlorine to get up to SLAM level of 12 FC.
Approx. 3 lbs. 12 oz. of CYA to get it to approx. 30.
Approx. 24oz. of muriatic acid to get pH down to 7.5.
Approx. 142oz. of calcium chloride to get CH up to 260.

I tried to stay on the lean side of these estimates at first.

I will be running the system overnight to really get things settled without the sun beating down on everything and will take another set of tests first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. From there I will test every few hours for FC and see how things are shaping up from there.
DOn't bother testing CYA for a week or so. Just assume it's there. Save the reagents.

DOn't bother testing CYA for a week or so. Just assume it's there. Save the reagents.
Oh, OK. Well I tested just now this morning before the sun came up, CYA included. But I'll hold off until next weekend.

FC = 19 Not sure if my pool gallon estimations were off and therefore added too much chlorine
pH = 7.5 This is good
CC = 1 Sounds about right given the water the pool was filled with and that there was some leftover water after draining.
TC = 20
CH = 250 This is pretty close to nominal
TA = 180 I've yet to adjust TA by lowering the pH and aerating. I'm assuming I can safely wait to do this until chlorine levels are under control?
CYA = 20 A little on the low side compared to my desired rating of 30, but I'll wait to adjust per Richard's recommendations.

Looks pretty good. It shouldn't take too long in this situation to complete the SLAM. I'd rather be high on FC than low.

Don't test the Cya for at least three or four days. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about that until I was completely done with SLAM.

TA is high, but with your CH and pH levels you are fine for now. Start that process afterward to keep it simple.

CC of 1 isn't unexpected either. You're on the right track, just hang in there with some POP. (Pool Owner Patience) :lol:

I'm not going to bother doing any tests until tomorrow morning, but just wanted to say that this pool has TRANSFORMED over the last 8 hours or so. Almost all of the turbidity caused by having to use well water for the partial fill and the dirty water remaining after the drain has gone away. In fact, the water is probably clearer than I've seen it since I move into this house.

Things are looking up, and I only have this place to thank.

More to come.....

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.