First time opening our own pool

We usually have the local pool guys come out and open our pool, but this year we've decided we'll save the money and do this ourselves.

We have few trees around and did not use a cover. There's a few leftover leaves in the deep end, but other than a bit of algae on the liner, we look pretty good.

I did have a pool company winterize and it looks as though they drained the pump, booster pump and sand filter. The plugs are all there in the pump basket and the sand filter valve(Tagelus) is set at 'Winterize". They did not remove any jets as far as I can tell.

If I understand what I've seen from some of the "how to" videos - I can get started with the following steps:

- Remove the Gizmo from the skimmer
- Re-install the drain plugs in the pumps and filter(treat the O rings if needed)
- Set the filter valve to FILTER
- Prime and start up the pump

Then it's a few days of SLAM, cleaning, water conditioning and we're good to go.

Did I miss anything?

Welcome to TFP!

I presume you have a proper test kit for a SLAM? This is a must for that task.

Do you know the Cya, and pH level?

When you say "treat" the O-rings, with what are you planning on treating them?

Scoop out all the leaves and other debris before you SLAM.

How familiar are you with the most important Items in Pool School?

Lastly, can you please add your pool details in your signature. Once you begin, it will help us help you much faster and better if we can see what you are dealing with.

I keep preaching this, hopefully it catches on :)

This fall, do not close your pool until late. Wait until your water is around 50. Then in the spring open early, again while water temps are 50ish ... there is NO SLAM. Simply open, get system running, balance and away you go.

Patrick -

Yes - I do have a test kit and I'm familiar with the SLAM and the TFPools methodology. I used to be a member on this board - but somehow my ID got deleted - possibly because I wasn't using it much last year. I use the on-line calculator all the time. With the salt cell - once the water is balanced - I barely need to touch the chemistry more than once a month or so.

I asked the question because I've never restarted the equipment before. I'm pretty mechanically inclined - but if I haven't done something before I always try to ask someone that has just to be sure I'm as smart as I think I am.

I have not tested the levels yet - as I am waiting for a bit warmer weather so I can get the salt cell running during the day. I'm shooting for this coming weekend. I'm outside of Raleigh NC - and it looks as though we're going to warm up enough in the next couple weeks that I can run the cell during the day. If that isn't enough - I'll keep the chlorine levels up with shock.

The local pool supply isn't too bad at $20/case for liquid chlorine shock. I figure no more then 3-4 cases should do the job. I've still got a few bags of salt, baking soda, 2.5 gallons of acid and some 2yr old boxes of borax. Not sure if the borax goes bad - but I think the rest of the leftovers are good to go.

Thanks for the response!

SSGumby -

You are absolutely right! :eek:

I had the pool closed in mid November - in hindsight that was way too early for NC. We got some warm weather and the algae followed.

The winter of 2013-14 I occasionally shocked and left the equipment running off and on - but it got really cold for days at a time in January and February, and I drove myself crazy making sure nothing got damaged - especially when we lost power. I hope to build an enclosure around the equipment in the next couple years.

Sorry about your ID being deleted but welcome back :wave:

You didn't mention raking up the "stuff" sitting in the deep end but if you've been here before you already know that's a good thing to do before you start hitting it with chemical. That and treating the O rings is likely referring to using a silicone lube. Might want to apply some to the pumps basket seal when you go to prime it. Sounds like you're right on the money. ;)

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease smaller.jpg
    Silicone Faucet Grease smaller.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 57
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.