Bestway Sand Filter

Nick

Jun 7, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hi All,

Has anyone tried using Bestway Sand Filters and pumps?

I have been trying to come up with a sensible cost effective solution to replace our Intex paper filter for next season so I started searching for different options and I came across This One

As we have an Intex 16 x 48 AGP I was curious about this. The price is pretty good considering it's for sale here on Treasure Island (GB), the wattage is not too bad and so shouldn't be too expensive to run but I wasn't too sure about performance and getting the job done.
The bench mark I am thinking of is if it will clear a cloudy pool after an outbreak of green algae. The Intex filter just doesn't make the grade.

Any thoughts or comments would be really welcome.

Thanks for that SeaRay, That's the guys who are selling it on ebay.
One thing I am not too sure about it that it circulates 800 gallons per hour. I can handle the thought of it circulating slower if that means that it would be able to cope with filtering out the aftermath of an algae bloom.

Using a converter I figured out it uses a little more then 50 lbs of sand and that's half the amount of sand my filter uses. This is just purely a guess, but, my 1 HP pump delivers 30 GPM or 1800 GPH. This pump delivers 800 GPH or 13.3 GPM. I would take a guess and say that this probably has a 1/3 or 1/2 HP pump.

Going by what people here say, my pump(1 HP) is oversized for my 4330 gal. pool and it probably is, then again, I can turn my water over 10 times in 24 hours. I get 1 turnover in about 2.5 hours and since I run the pump for 9 hours a day(for solar) my pool clears quickly.

With that filter and your 5000 gal. pool, you would be able to turn the water over every 6.25 hours. That's still under the reccomended time(8 hours) for a complete turnover. You should have sparkly clear water in no time and you won't have to run the pump 24/7 like with the Intex filter.

I think this filter, even with it probably having less GPH then the Intex, will work much better then what you have now. It wil also require a lot less maintenance then the tiny Intex Cart filter. Heck, if you want you could even make a PVC bypass and put the Intex cart(bypass Intex pump) after the sand filter. This will filter the water even better then sand alone.

I say go for it!
Good luck,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.