booboo

May 22, 2008
Marana AZ
I am getting ready to build a pool and have two pool contractors giving me different advice. One says to have a separate 1/2 hp pump for the solar system with its own intake and output ports in the pool. The other contractor tells me to have an automated valve and use the existing 3 hp variable speed pump. All of the equipment is Pentair and the easy touch will control the solar. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Either way will work but why have two pumps when you don't really need two. The advantage of solar with a VS pump is that you can optimize the RPM for low energy use and at the same time maximize heat transfer.

I agree. I have a variable speed pump (Pentair Intelliflo VF) and use the same pump when solar is off at 26 GPM (275 Watts), when solar is on at 48 GPM (1500 Watts), when the gas heater is on at 40 GPM (615 Watts), and when the pressure-side The Pool Cleaner is on at 15 GPM (540 Watts) on a dedicated line. I was able to get rid of my booster pump I had for my Letro Legend pool cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.