Time to replace filter?

TK-421

Mar 4, 2015
Southern California
There are no markings left on my DE filter, and the previous owner was unaware of the brand only that it was DE. I took a picture to the pool store and they said it was a Purex 2000.

He also said that I cannot get parts for the valve which is leaking at the bottom. He suggested to upgrade to a new filter (Obviously $$$).

I have not taken this apart yet.

Is this filter obsolete?

Are parts even available?

Should I bite the bullet and just upgrade?

Thanks

Where is it leaking? A quick Google search found a set of o-rings for the Purex 2000 backwash valve for $5.35 ... I think your pool guy was "mistaken" about there not being parts.

It is leaking from the body of the valve, and where the waste port is. I think it is/was threaded at one time but it is glued in with something (JBweld/epoxy?) and there are no unions anywhere.

When would a pool filter in general be considered a write off ? Because I see many people buying new filters on the forums.

Well, some parts approach the cost of a new filter. A backwash valve (assuming it is available), likely is still a good bit cheaper than a full filter ... and often is a separate purchase from the filter anyway.

Well, some parts approach the cost of a new filter. A backwash valve (assuming it is available), likely is still a good bit cheaper than a full filter ... and often is a separate purchase from the filter anyway.

From what I can see so far it looks like it would be under $100 worth of parts to replace all orings, and I also need a new holding wheel. Hopefully the o-rings/tapered seal stop the leak.

As I have stated in another post I am changing the motor from a 1.5 hp to a variable speed Ecotech 1.5 for lower noise and lower electrical bills.

Before I spend ~$100 to hopefully stop the leak would installing a new Pentair Quad DE 100 lower the flow restriction enough to make a difference?

Would it allow me to run the pump at a lower rpm for the same flow?

My goal is quiet/energy savings, and if there would be a decent enough decrease in restriction by getting rid of the Purex 2000 then I would do it.

Flow restriction is primarily a function of the number of square feet of filter area. The Purex 2000 came in various sizes, as does the Quad DE. As long as you get a Quad DE in a larger size than your current filter it will have less flow restriction.

Flow restriction is primarily a function of the number of square feet of filter area. The Purex 2000 came in various sizes, as does the Quad DE. As long as you get a Quad DE in a larger size than your current filter it will have less flow restriction.

I believe I have the 60 sq ft version of the Purex 2000.

I would be purchasing the Quad DE 100.

In your opinion do you think I would see a decent improvement?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you need flow improvement?
We generally recommending filtering at low pump speeds where the flow is low.
On high speed, you should be some increased flow, but I am not sure it will be hugely noticeable ... the filter is only one source of head loss.

Why do you need flow improvement?
We generally recommending filtering at low pump speeds where the flow is low.
On high speed, you should be some increased flow, but I am not sure it will be hugely noticeable ... the filter is only one source of head loss.

For flow improvement i just mean for ex. if I have to run the pump at 2200rpm for enough flow to the skimmer with my current Purex, and the quad one allows me to run at say 1500 rpm for the same flow.

RPM numbers are just made up for the example.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.