Trenching Around a Buried Doughboy Pool

Cherie

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
Wylie, Texas
We are ready to install our 2nd return inlet and need to ask if anyone knows how close you can safely trench around a buried Doughboy. We had it installed May 2008, buried 3' and have done our dirt buildup around it all summer, watering it in and letting rain settle the dirt naturally. So we're not sure how hard/easy it will be to trench this dirt back up now to install a second return inlet, which is all the way to the other end of the pool. We didn't realize we'd really need that 2nd return for adequate circulation, given that we have a 7' deep end. Pool store didn't discuss this possibility with us, so we're dealing with the issue ourselves now!

Or should we just lay the pvc up next to the pool and enclose it in insulation tubing, since we'll be installing decking around it next summer? Our concern is that the pool will catch the blisterning north winter weather, particularly the side where the piping would be sitting on the ground up next to the pool. We're also installing a 2-sp Pentair Dynamo and will be running the pump 24/7 from then on. So the water should be passing through it enough that it shouldn't freeze, even if it's on top of the ground, right?

Since our pool is buried 3', our pad/equipment sits just slightly above the water level of the pool. Is it still considered, for equipment purposes, an above-ground pool? We currently have the tubing that comes automatically with these above-ground pools, connecting the return and intake.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Cherie,

I would think since your pool is still relatively new you should be able to carefully dig up around the pool and lay your tubing. If it were me, I would be inclined to stay away from the existing tubing and dig a new trench so you dont disturb the other stuff.

Im sure someone in this forum has had this situation and will chime in with ideas as well ..........

Good luck !

You've got a nice big pool there, lot's of room to swim laps, wish I had the yard for it.
I have replaced a liner for a buried AGP, and let me say that we charged way more for the excavation than installing a whole new pool, the happy homeowner had only two choices, remove the pool and fill it with dirt, or pay someone to dig BY HAND around the perimeter wide enough to walk around. Luckily for now you don't have a liner issue, but just heads up when you do, it's much more of a problem.
Just laying in another return line is not that big of a deal, I would use 2" TigerFlex, it's not like you have to go deeper than 6", and you don't want to dig right on the wall. I like the return lines to be placed at the ends with the curve to help with circulation. Be sure to pour RV antifreeze in the line for winter, if you close for the freeze (not sure of your location {EDIT: I see you live in TX, no winterizing needed - but drain your pool to the low level before that IKE comes pouring down on you.}).

Thanks kr. We hand dug about a 6-8" trench about a foot from the peremeter of the pool and got the PVC/return put in last Saturday. So far, it's making a world of difference now having a return in the shallow end. Of course, now the heavy rains may be heading our way - now that we disturbed the packed dirt around the pool...which we spent all summer building up and packing down!!

But I think having the shallow end return has made a difference in our issue with what we're perceiving to be mustard algae as well. I'm only sweeping the pool once a week now, where before, I would sweep it at least once daily. And the fine powdery stuff doesn't seem to be accumulating as quickly. In the process of installing our 2nd return, we drained 8.5" of water and refilled - so our CYA dropped too, which is what we wanted.

Now I'm looking for the most economical 2-speed pump (will probably go with the Pentair 1HP) to install before the cold, wet weather moves in. I need to see how the pool with do with the new setup while we still have time to make changes if necessary.

As for our liner, yes, we were warned by our installer that we DO NOT want anything to happen to that liner - that it would run us probably $3K-4K to have a new one installed. We ended up paying an appx total of $10K for the whole set-up, including plumber to install PVC to city pipe (requirement by Wylie). I assume the reason for digging out around the pool is to keep it from caving in once the water is all drained to install the new liner. Makes sense and yes, that would be a doozy of a job. We paid $3000 for the bury/install (included in the $10K total above), but once he saw our backyard, regretted pricing it site unseen. 8)

But when we consider the fact that our neighbors paid...NINE YEARS AGO...$35K for a guinite (sp) pool about the size of ours, only no deep end, we're happy about buying an AGP and having it buried. Of course, we've since learned that we have to be aware of certain problems that the unburied AGP's and in-ground pools don't have. But hey, we're happy!

We aren't going to close it for winter, but will probably put a cover on. Jury's still out on that one. I have to do my homework and decide what's best for us in Texas winters!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.