Jandy Actuator Valve rotates continuously

covkid

Mar 11, 2015
Menifee,CA
I'm a new member and an old guy (in my 70's), so please forgive me if this problem's already been dealt with before.

I have several Jandy 2440 Actuator Valves controlled by a Jandy Aqualink RS 8. One of the Valves controls the flow to/from my rooftop Solar Heating. Everything has worked fine since the install (some 10 years ago), but I now have a problem. On several evenings over the last couple of weeks, when the Auto controller shuts off the Solar Heating (because of temperature drop) the Actuator starts to rotate to its 'Off' position but, instead of stopping when it reaches that position (after rotating 90°) it continues to rotate and just keeps going, around and around and around.......

If I flip the Manual switch on the side of the Actuator to the "Off" position, obviously it stops, but if I throw the switch back on, it resumes its continuous swivel again. If I flip it to the number "2" position (it normally operates in the number "1" position) the problem is still there, just reversed, ie. when it rotates to turn the Solar on, it doesn't stop there, it just keeps going around.

Now...... just to further complicate matters, it doesn't happen every day. For example, two days ago I used the Manual switch to rotate it to its "On" position and then flipped the switch to "Off", so the valve was locked open, ie. to give continuous Solar Heating. I went back to it today, switched it back to its regular operating number 1 position and then, when I then used the Auto to turn it off, it rotated around to its "Off" position and stopped(!). I've just been testing it over the last hour, and it's continued to work fine. However, when I go check on it tomorrow, I guarantee it'll be up to its old tricks again.

I've done a bit of online research and it seems as if one of the Micro-switches might be to blame, but being a cheapskate, I thought I'd check with the Forum to see if anyone could give me the benefit of their knowledge, before I waste any of my hard-earned Social Security.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I had a fairly new Intermatic start to do the same thing. In my case, part of the plastic base cracked and when turning the shaft had enough wiggle in it that the cams did not hit the switches enough to stop the movement.

The only way this can happen is if the micro-switches are not being depressed. I would pull the top off the actuator and see if anything is obvious.

I wonder if after 10 years, the plastic cams have worn down a little? You might be able to slightly bend the arms that push the switches so that the cams are more likely to throw the switch. If you do this though, you may need to turn the cams some so the valve stops in the right place.

Excellent thought. thank you! I shall try it. But now please let me explain why I haven't got back to you sooner with the outcome. "Murphy's Law" struck again! When I went out to check the cams/switches, the **** thing was operating properly! So, rather than annoy it by taking the top off and doing further investigation, I decided to take a 'wait and see' approach. Well, it continued to behave itself for each of the two solar cycles that day, and it's done the same so far today too! Like I said, "Murphy's Law" at play - no doubt practicing for St.Paddy's Day on Tuesday!

Anyway, I'm a great believer in letting sleeping dogs lie, so I'm just going to keep checking it after each timed cycle and see when it next goes awry. That way, I'll also have a better chance of actually observing what's going wrong as it does its little pirouette.

Again, sorry for the delay in reporting back. Thanks for the great tips! I'll get back to you when I know more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.