In case your interested-my testing of 10% chlorine I buy and use

ryker

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2014
Inverness Fl
If this is not correct forum-please move.

I have always been interested since getting my pool, exactly what the % was on the chlorine I buy at "Pinch a Penny", they say it is 10%. They have the best price here. I read of goods ways to test it here but just never did.

This year just thought I would, I'm paying for it, and they tell me I'm getting 10% chlorine. So I used the method described by CRG_80cc, in this thread "Testing strength of liquid chlorine" where he made the statement of you might get "better accuracy if you do two 1:100 serial dilutions of your sample (still gives 1:10,000 dilution)."

I have a TF-100 test kit, so I used it to measure the 100 mls of water, doing 2-40mls, and then 1-20 mls to get right amount. I used 5 ml syringe I got at walgreens for the 1 ml. I'm sure that there is a margin of error here, but I also found that it can be very close (acceptable) if you put the liquid on the line when measuring, in the vials and syringe, like you were in an old chem class

All said and done, I came out with a probably 9.5, and a definite 10 for the chlorine in the jug. I'm on their program of 2 1/2 gal jugs. This is the cheapest way here. Anyway, just thought that someone might be interested, and made me happy in that if my test was even close, I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Thanks for the help TF-100 and on all the other test.

I had the same curiosity when I joined TFP last year.

This is a post I made regarding my measurement technique. I generally use 8.25% bleach from Costco, Walmart, Target, or Sam's club. My testing showed the bleach strength to be as advertised, but I always make sure the date code on the bottle is recent.

My Testing Method

I get it for PaP or Leslie's too. Cheapest around, fresh, and it eliminates the need to toss bleach bottles. Tomorrow, my automatic liquid Chlorinator arrives because those jugs are heavy.

The "Pinch a Penny" is also the cheapest I can find around $4.50 for 2 1/2 gal refill,but you have to pay to rent the container the first time deposit charge for a full one and Its just about 1/2 mile from the house.Also the MA seems to be the best price as well and they always have it in stock too.All the other places I tried to find it is always out of it around here. I have checked everywhere close by too believe me. I found out since moving here to Florida everybody uses a lot of bleach here for more things than the Pool. The mold and mildew is really bad down here! :(
It's also fun just to take a sample into them sometimes to see how much their test will differ from mine now that I got my own test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.