Replacing pool light???

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
We had our pool replastered about 2 months ago. Over the last few weeks I've noticed something on the interior of the pool light which looked like rust (really don't think it was there after the replastering). Anyway, now our pool light is not working. I'm pretty sure it's the bulb since I don't know how old it is. How do you replace a pool bulb? Do you need to drain the water down below the light? Is this something we should call someone in to do? We have no idea.

Typically you can remove the one screw on the top of the fixture and then lift it up onto the deck (there should be enough cord rolled up behind the light). Then you just open it up, dry it out, replace the bulb and seal, verify you don't get any air bubbles when you put it back in the water, put it back in the niche, put the screw back in.

I did this and reinstalled a ColorSplash multi-color LED light bulb.

Ok, just realized it's not rust I'm seeing inside the light housing but water. It's about half filled with water. Not sure how old light bulb or housing is but the previous owners were not into home maintenance of any kind so I'm assuming I may need to replace the entire unit now and not just a bulb. I'm going to have my husband take it out this weekend so we can see what size/model we have. Questions:
*Should we still go ahead and just replace the bulb and a new gasket and see if that works? I guess the plasterers disturbed the seal when they replastered.
*If it's not just a bulb how difficult is it to replace the whole unit? My husband isn't electrically inclined and couple that with water makes for a nervous husband. With this repair is it just better to call in a professional?
*Is it ok to leave the wires and housing on top of the deck while we work through this whole scenario? Still ok to run pump with the light out?
THANKS ALL!

It may still just need a bulb and gasket. I would pull it out and inspect it really well. Might see if a cheap bulb would work on the deck for a few seconds before installing a new pool bulb and gasket.

If you have to replace the fixture, that is more work as you have to pull the wire through the conduit (with a chase wire) and then pull the new wire back through the conduit. Not complicated, but can be pretty difficult.

No problem leaving it on the deck for awhile.

+1 everything Jason says.
Its really pretty easy in the big scheme of difficulty factors.

If there is a hard part, it's lying on the deck, on your tummy, shoulder deep in cold water, trying to get that screw out. Its MUCH easier if the water is warm enough to get in.

There are several videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Two questions. When you say try a "cheap bulb" first does that mean that a regular old incandescent bulb would have the same base to try it out with?
Also, if we have to replace the entire housing does the water need to be drained out of the pool to below the light niche or can it be installed under water? If we need new housing we will call the pro. Thanks!!

Hi Lisa,
just use a regular light bulb and screw it into the fixture and see if it will turn on. BE SURE though, that the bulb socket in the fixture is completely dry.
see if it lights up when you turn on the switch. If so, then you probably just need a new bulb and rubber gaskets. If it blows, then its a easy replacement.

You do not have to drain the pool if you have to install a whole new fixture. It can all be done underwater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.