Widely varied pool store TA readings

b00k3

Aug 30, 2008
Hi,

I'm new here. I've really learned a lot reading some of the posts here, and love how people answer questions so nicely here. Awesome community.

We opened a new AG ~4400 gallon Intex pool late this season -- around 8/14. I went to the closest pool store for help with free tests, and getting levels right. All they really asked me to do was raise my TA (which I went and did with baking soda) and CYA that I bought from them. They sold me a BioGuard starter kit, and I used their super soluble for a while until I read about BBB. Then I bought a couple bottles of 6% bleach, and have been testing and adjusting the Cl every day or two. No big problems. The last time I had them test it, they said my TA was 108, and I ought to adjust it by adding more Stabilizer 100 (read: baking soda). I had a previous test say it fine, and my test strip readings are around 150 anyway, so I thought I'd just ignore that reading for now, and try later.

Looking for a solar cover they didn't carry, I went to a more remote pool store, and brought them a water sample while I was at it. All their readings were different from what I expected. From what I've read, CYA and TA don't wander far unless one is dumping chemicals in, so I was surprised. Pool store 1 said CYA was 34, 2 said it was 15. Pool Store 1 said TA was 108. 2 said it was 218. 218!? I had them test it two more times... once with a different packet of whatever they were using. Same dark green.

These tests were only about a week apart. Both the CYA and baking soda were added over a week before either test. I run the filter for a while before taking samples, and take them a foot or two down. The other thing worth noting is that the first pool store thinks TA belongs between 125-150, and the second thinks it should be 60 to 100. Not sure why. My first batch of Bioguard test strips thought it was 150 (which is what I figured I was targetting with my baking soda doses anyway). I'd say the second batch (PoolMaster) might have been more like 170 today. I'm not so surprised test strips can vary like that. Based on the amount of baking soda pool store 1 said I should add, (8.5 lbs to a 4400 gal pool reading 30 at the time), I was expecting to be upwards of 150, and the strips don't seem far from it.

So I have one pool store trying to have me raise the TA. The other wants me to lower it. A lot. I now notice that even 150 is rather high by most standards, if that's what I've really got, so I'm not sure what pool store 1 was up to.

There's so little of the season left, I'm not sure I'm even up for buying a lot of chemicals. I was planning on draining the pool in late september or early october (we're in Pacific NW -- I may be being optimistic here)

I suspect the answer is: "Get your own test kit and quit fooling with these clowns." I was planning on doing that for next season, and just getting by with test strips and pool stores for this month or two. Any other insights?

I suspect the answer is: "Get your own test kit and quit fooling with these clowns." I was planning on doing that for next season, and just getting by with test strips and pool stores for this month or two. Any other insights?
Yeah, that's the answer but I like Vegas' idea best.

T/A out of whack is not the disaster that lack of chlorine is so I'd just limp along until next Spring.

Stay on the forum and keep reading and asking questions. It quickly becomes apparent how innaccurate pool store testing can be......many (not all) simply do not understand what they're doing.

Welcome to the forum b00k3 ! :wave:

You are correct with your statement about "getting your own test kit". With it being so late in the swim season (depending on where you live) you could probably let your TA slide until next season. Your ideal TA numbers should be between 90 - 110. Its quite common for you to get different reading from different pool stores too. One member like you, just recently went to 3 pool stores and got 3 different readings :shock:
Reducing your TA levels is a very long process and could take several days or even weeks to adjust to proper levels. Read this article in pool school about lowering your TA.

For now I would work on you Cl levels, do lots of reading in our pool school section. Any questions you have post here after reading and we can help you out. Next season you'll be all set to go !!

Good Luck ! :wink:

PS. Go to the "control panel" (top left) and add your pool equipment to your signature so you dont have to type it in all the time. That is very helpful to us in assisting you.

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

I'm hearing "focus on Cl for this season, start fresh next season"... For Cl, I've been keeping it between 3 and 6... I thought that was right for a CYA of ~30 according to Ben's Best Guess. Pool store #2 said yesterday it was 3.3, and was not alarmed, so I didn't write much about that -- I thought it was in order. Am I wrong?

I'll keep reading the pool school.

What I meant was keeping your cl levels up for the remainder of this swim season. If your water is clear then thats what I would work on and worry about adjusting your other levels next year. :wink:

Do you drain your pool for the winter months? I dont know in your area what your winter temps are like ....

Here, some drain and some don't. It might freeze one or two nights a year, but not bad. I was considering leaving it up all winter, but now I think I'll drain it for a couple reasons:
1) try again with the TA rather than try to ratchet it down.
2) We've got wrinkles on the bottom, and the plunger didn't do the trick. We'll set up on a warmer day, mid day next time so that the wrinkles can soften up before adding the water.

A fill is $17, I figured, plus < $10 startup chemicals (baking soda, CYA). It's the teardown and setup that are a pain to me. Probably best in our situation, though.

Thanks again for the comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.