Infinity pool design questions

MB1

Mar 11, 2015
Pasadena, CA
Welcome to TFP!!! I merged all your related threads together, this should avoid repetitive responses and keep your story together. Please always keep your related questions together. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi, I wanted to canvas the opinion of infinity pool owners regarding the best filtration plan. I have never owned or operated an infinity pool before, so I would appreciate your input.

At the moment my infinity pool is design with a sump style filter, and the overflow (infinity) which also acts as s skimmer.

During the 'closed' seasons and at night I do not want water being pumped over the water fall. My question is has anybody ever installed a separate conventional 'skimmer' (below the level of the overflow)? The water level could then be reduced at the appropriate time to the level of the conventional skimmer and the pool operated as normal.

Thanks in advance.

MB

Max vertical distance pump to waterline

Hi,

I am installing an infinity pool in a very tight space. I am looking into placing the pump/filtration system 5m/16.5ft below the pool water line. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

It is fairly common to have two whole sets of equipment and an edge/waterfall/overflow pump in addition. That way both the upper and lower pools can be circulated/filtered separately from each other, without needing to run the (usually) expensive overflow pump.

With an infinite edge there is always an upper body of water (generally the main pool) and a lower body of water (some people call it a trough, rather than a pool).

Yes, the pump can be that far below the pool, but it creates some challenges. You will need some valves to seal off the plumbing so the pump filter basket can be opened for cleaning. You will also be running the filter at a higher pressure than usual, which will just slightly lower it's lifetime. Forgetting to adjust the valves properly could lead to either draining a fair bit of water accidentally or damaging the pump, if not noticed right away. None of these are show stoppers, more like minor annoyances.

The above height difference issues apply to a pump plumbed directly to the upper body of water. If it draws from the trough instead then there is far less of an issue.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually there is only one pool. My question is whether the pump/filter for the pool can be located 16.5 feet below the waterline?

Hi there I am new to this forum, but not to this question. I used to have extremely large capacity saltwater aquariums. With a very similar issue, since often we use large sumps, sometimes several feet below the main (display) tank.

That way, unsightly equipment like filters, heaters, etc. can be located outside the main tank.

Usually these systems use a conventional gravity based overflow, e.g. just as you described a mechanical filter at the water surface pulls off debris, and the water falls down to the sump. It's then pumped to a return, and the cycle repeats.

In these systems, the only way to prevent the overflow, is to stop pumping. The water capacity in the system, just has to be less than the combined volume of the Pool + Sump, since even after shut off, siphon action will cause some additional water from the top pool, to be drawn into the bottom (or sump)...

So, in your case, you'd want to be sure that the bottom pool has excess capacity below the skimmer line, after overflow. (example, you want to be sure when your top pool finishes siphoning down, that the bottom pool's water level is below the edge.

Aside from that, the next criteria is to be sure how much "head loss" the pump will have, for the flow rate you want to achieve and the capacity of the plumbing ? When lifting water you get "head pressure" e.g. "how much pressure of water, is pushing down against the pump which is trying to LIFT the water 16-1/2'..... This will impact the pump sizing, and plumbing design.

Essentially the pumps are going to be rated for a given GPH at a certain head pressure / height. This will be in the pump manufacturers spec sheets.

There's a good link on this site, for you to plan your equipment and plumbing.

Head Pressure and Plumbing Charts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.