Toekneejo

Toekneejo

Platinum Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Houston TX
Hello all. I am a new pool person. I have several questions that hopefully people will be able to assist me with, I will post them in the appropriate spots. For now just wanted to say hi and let y'all know that I have an AGP 43X21 and 54" side walls. We are also using a SWG. We did the install by ourselves just the 2 of us and yes it was a chore. We completed it during the heat of last summer, so we were able to enjoy it now to get it back up and running.

Thank you and I'm not sure even where to start. We had to go out of town for work this fall and instead of winterizing we left it up for our grown children to enjoy. Upon returning in December it had been neglected and we panicked so we drained the pool (approx. 23,000 gallons). We cleaned all the walls and refilled it just below the plumbing and placed a tarp over it. The tarp ended up ripping off of the pool a month later and we have left the pool sitting there since most of the leaves had already fallen. Now it is getting close to reopening it. My questions revolve around do I shock it first? Do I shock with chlorine? Then clean the sides while it is shocking? When do I put in my cyanuric acid and salt? We have the aqua-rite T cell? Or can I just super chlorinate after adding the chemicals? The pool is not in terrible shape at this time but it definitely needs cleaning in order for it to be crystal clear. I do have a test kit but right now it is nothing but water???? I think this is good place to start so thanks for any advice.

We can certainly help with this. Here is what I would do:

1. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. Highly recommend the TF-100 with XL option and SpeedStir as an option. It is CRUCIAL that you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... what kit do you have?

2. Scoop out any debris and fill the pool up and get the water circulating.

3. Do a full set of test results and post them up here.

4. Likely make a few chemical adjustments based on the test results

5. Follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clean up the pool. This is NOT done with the SWG, you should just leave that off until the SLAM is complete.

6. After SLAM is done, make further chemical adjustments for the SWG

7. Dial in the SWG output

8. Enjoy the summer ;)

Likely before all this you need to spend some time reading Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Yes I just checked and no my test kit is not up to the test so I will be purchasing the TF-100 as recommended. I have been reading and will continue to do so. One last question is it too early to open up the pool? I don't have a heater the day temps are near 70 degrees. So I won't be swimming but I hate to see it in such bad need of attention. Should I get the test and post my readings and go from there?

In Houston, I am surprised that you close the pool at all. Certainly not too early to open. In fact you need to open before the water gets above 60 degrees to low the likelihood of algae.

Yup, get a kit and post up the results. You need to circulate the pool at least an hour before you do the testing. So you can make sure the filter is clean and inspect everything and get it running while waiting for the kit.

I would also suggest the Taylor drop-based salt test and one of the nice glycerin filled gauges that tftestkits.net sells ... while I am spending your money ;)

Hehehe I ordered the TF-100 with the spped stir and the salt test. I didn't order the glycerin filled gauges we'll just have to wait. Yes I don't think we will be closing it this year nor ever again. However, I will be needing to ask additional questions later but I will continue reading and post as soon as the test comes in thanks again for everything.

I am sure you can add the gauge if you call them. Save on shipping ;) and lower cost than the low quality ones you will find locally.

BTW, Dave, the owner of tftestkit.net, also owns this forum. Best customer service you will ever find :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just stating a fact that has been posted by many others before me.

I fail to see how your post adds anything to this thread. If you have nothing useful to post, save yourself the time ;)