Solar cover causing pollen problem?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
My solar cover seems to be causing a strange pollen problem. Here are two scenarios:

Without the cover:
Pollen blows into the pool and eventually collects in small drifts on the bottom. If I vacuum up the drifts slowly, I don't have to vacuum the whole bottom, just the drifts.

With the cover:
Pollen covers the entire bottom of the pool and the sloping walls (not vertical walls) with a micro-fine dust. I have to vacuum every inch of the pool bottom when I take off the cover.

My thought has always been, perhaps this is algae? But my water is crystal clear, and I've tested FC at night and the next morning twice, and it only dropped 0.2ppm the first time and 0.4ppm the second time. Also, the stuff avoids the vertical walls and is not concentrated in the shady areas -- it's "broadcast" over the entire pool bottom, like someone spray-painted it!

I just bought the solar cover, and now I feel like throwing it away. It's plenty humid here, so we don't have much of a problem with evaporation. Also, it doesn't seem like it's helping to hold the heat in the pool much! Did I waste $150?

I find that solar covers are only good for one thing and that is to keep heat in overnight. Otherwise, you are better keeping it off. They are also good at reducing evaporation but that is about it.

When I remove mine, all of the leaves and pollen dump into the pool anyway so there is not much point in using it to keep the pool clean since it does a lousy job.

Even trying to blow the stuff off first with a leaf blower doesn't work all that well. I find that the skimmer works much better with it off and even the pool cleaner seems to do a better job. So now I only put the cover on when I know I will be swimming the next day and want to keep the heat in.

So I think this means: I did waste my money. :oops:

One thought: we've been running the pool pump at night only, which is also when we have the solar cover on. It seems like this could be a mistake, both circulation-wise and pollen-distribution-wise. Maybe the "broadcast pollen effect" would be lessened if we only ran the pump with the solar cover off?

Anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?

Interesting thread.

I put the solar cover on about four weeks ago because the nights have been getting cool. My pump runs for 8 hours during the night. I've noticed much more fine debris collecting on the bottom, especially in the dips and liner creases, with the cover on.

I use a PoolSkim and while I cut a semicircle out of the solar cover around the PoolSkim's floating hat, its collection of surface debris is largely reduced with the solar cover in place. Most likely the debris is forced below the surface and sinks before it gets picked up by the PoolSkim.

I haven't noticed any problems with water circulation. I use a skimmer sock and get the usual amount of collected dirt in it; that is, the sock is grey after a day or two. No problems with the water chemistry, either. The nice thing about the solar cover is that it does help keep the water warmer.

During the day I remove one section of the cover to allow the pool to 'breathe'. Haven't noticed any algae growth anywhere, so having the cover on for an extended period has not created an algae problem. Just more 'dust' on the pool bottom.

I use a pool sock, too, which is essential with the amount of pollen in rural Wisconsin. And we have a Pool Devil, which does a pretty good job of capturing leaves and bugs before they fall to the bottom.

I've noticed that when the solar cover is on, neither methods of catching debris work anymore. The sock is basically still clean with the solar cover on, while it's completely yellow and covered with pollen with the cover off. Of course the Pool Devil, which sits on the surface and works using a venturi effect, doesn't collect a thing with the cover on.

I'm wondering if the people who successfully use a solar cover have automatic pool vacuums (something that's beyond our price range right now)?

If my theory is correct -- solar covers cause pollen/dust in the pool to be disseminated around the pool floor -- then an automatic pool vacuum would just suck up the dust/pollen before you noticed it. Voila! No problem. However, without the automatic vacuum -- big ugly mess.

I'm experimenting right now with leaving the cover off for days in a row. It's extremely humid, so evaporation isn't a problem. Honestly, I don't seem to be losing that much more heat than with it on. And my pool is sparkling clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.