Float Valve for this skimmer?

Mar 10, 2015
Sarasota
Hello, first post in this great forum and I've been reading around and learning a lot for about a week. Moved into house with pool 2 years ago. The main drain has never worked and I believe it is connected to the skimmer. I ran a hose down the main drain line and it stops at about 3 feet. I could see water coming up from the main drain when I turned on hose. At the pump I have a diverter valve which opens and closes a side wall input (for auto vacuum) and the skimmer. There is no float valve in the bottom of the skimmer. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of skimmer I have and what I need to make the main drain work in conjunction with the skimmer. Also are the float valves universal? I have attached a photo of the skimmer floor. The left hole goes to the pump and the right to the main drain. There are two raised nubs on the skimmer floor as seen on the bottom of the photo. Also a center hole. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 233
Welcome! :wave:

Just measure the well diameter and go to the pool store. I bought a generic diverter valve and it works just fine. Looks like this:
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

The alternative is to start looking all around for manufacturer's name and part numbers cast into the plastic somewhere and then try to find a dealer and then try to order a diverter.

Hmm - so i stumbled upon this thread … I have two holes in the bottom of my skimmer as well. How do I know where each one goes? Also - How would I know if my main drain was or was not working? I know this sounds completely silly but I have one of those 'diverter valves' that is pictured above and it sits in my shed. Is that something I should have in my skimmer?

Thank you for any input.

Hmm - so i stumbled upon this thread … I have two holes in the bottom of my skimmer as well. How do I know where each one goes? Also - How would I know if my main drain was or was not working? I know this sounds completely silly but I have one of those 'diverter valves' that is pictured above and it sits in my shed. Is that something I should have in my skimmer?

Thank you for any input.
If you want the main drain to flow, you need the diverter.

When the pump is on, one of those two openings will have suction. The other should go to the drain. You could stuff a hose down that port and see if all sorts of collected debris gets pushed out into the pool. That will tell you if the pipe is clear. Or take the diverter, slide the flap on the bottom closed, and drop it in. The skimmer will stop and the pump will be draawing from the main drain. If things are close to normal otherwise, the pipe is clear. If the other end is plugged, the pump will start starving for water and cavitating. Shut if off to relieve suction and remove the diverter.

If the thing does work, experiment a little. Wide open means all skimmer. Fully closed means all drain. SOmewhere in between splits it. I have mine set to the point where I just see the slightest reduction in skimmer turbulence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.