iAquaLink stopped controlling heater temp setting

Jul 15, 2013
Prosper, TX
My iAquaLink (1.0) stopped controlling the temperature setting on my heater (Jandy LXi). I can still control everything else just fine from the iPhone app. I can switch it to Spa Mode, and I can turn the heater on and off, and those all work correctly. But when I adjust the pool or spa temperature from the iPhone app, it no longer changes the corresponding setting on the heater.

Any idea where it might have lost it's marbles, and what I can do to fix it? This seems like it's going to be a simple thing. But I've looked through the settings and the manuals and I haven't been able to see it.

Thanks!
Mark

It never did. The heater temperature setting is either ignored, or should be set very high, depending on what kind of heater you have. The automation system turns the heater on and off based on it's own temperature setting and the thermostat in the heater is simply not used.

Jason -- Interesting. But I would swear that back when it was working I could change it on the app and it would change the temperatures that were displayed on the heater's control panel. I'm 98% sure. As you said though, maybe my particular heater works differently with the automation system than you explained.

Come to think of it, I fired it up last week after the snow stopped falling and I manually set it to 102-F on the heater's control panel but the spa seemed to have a cap of 100-F on it. It never hit 102, and when it would hit 100, the heater would stop for a little while and then it would drop to 99 and the heater would kick back on, like it was thermostatically set to 100-F somewhere rather than 102-F. I knew the iOS app wouldn't matter, but i bumped it up to 103-F to make sure it wasn't in the way. So your point is interesting -- it's like there's another controller in there somewhere that has it capped at 100 right now. I can say without question we've used it many times to 101 or 102 back when everything was working properly.

In any case, any idea how I can remotely control the temps again? Now that we're peeling the onion a little, it sounds like there are a lot of variables hereThis is sounding more and more like I'm going to end up placing a service call. Boooo.

Mark

The heater can show two different things: the current water temperature and the heaters target temperature. If the heater is displaying the current temperature, it will track the temperature set remotely with a delay. The heaters target temperature is not used with an Aqualink, and is normally set very high so the heater will not shutdown short of the goal temperature.

But as I said, with an Aqualink, the Aqualink is controlling the temperature using it's own temperature sensor, and the thermostat in the heater is not used.

Okay, that's all good information. But regardless of any of that, let me restate my actual concern:

I have a setting in iAquaLink where I can adjust the temperature of the water in my pool or spa. That setting used to work fine, but now it no longer adjusts the temperature of the water in my pool or spa. I don't know what changed. Can anyone offer some advice on what I might need to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Mark

There are two places to look. Either something is wrong with the wire that runs between the heater and the Aqualink, or the heater has forgotten that is should respond to remote control. The exact sequence used to program the heater to respond to remote control depends on how it is wired to the Aqualink. The instructions are in the manual starting on page 28.

Oh wow, that's very interesting. I honestly never thought to look in the heater's manual. It does say "REMOTE TSTAT" on the control panel on the heater as the book says. And I see it says what you said -- set it to SPA and turn the temp all the way up and leave it. Okay, so we're getting somewhere. The heater isn't the issue then. Now I have to figure out what device's thermostat is controlling the temp and capping it at 100-F. The heater is set higher than that (as it should be according to what we just read), and the iAquaLink is set higher than that. So it's got to be something else in there. I'll try go through the remote settings again and see if there's something I missed.

Thanks again, Jason. This is good stuff. I appreciate your help!

If the Aqualink temperature control is working most of the time, and only failing above 100 degrees, it could be that one of the heaters safety cutouts has drifted out of spec and is shutting things off due to what it thinks if too high of a water temperature, when the actual water temperature is fine. Debugging this is a bit more tricky, as you have to take the cover off the heater and try jumping across each of the safety sensors in turn while the heater is failing to heat the water above 100 degrees.

So I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I found this and wanted to share a similar situation. I used to be able to control temp from my phone with iAquaLink. At some point, it stopped. But my PDA controls work perfectly. iAquaLink can still turn heater and everything else on and off, just not temp. Thoughts?

Is it changing the display temperature on your PDA or iaqualink to what you want, but the actual temperature is not changing? If that is the case, you can have a bad thermostat on your heater. If it is not letting you change your temperature at all, even on the display, that I don't have an answer for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it changing the display temperature on your PDA or iaqualink to what you want, but the actual temperature is not changing? If that is the case, you can have a bad thermostat on your heater. If it is not letting you change your temperature at all, even on the display, that I don't have an answer for.

Here's where it gets more interesting. It always shows the change on the iAqualink to what you want when you scroll. Then you hit Set, and go back to the temp setting page, and you'll see that the pool set temp will revert to the old temp. Interestingly, it works perfectly fine for Spa temp, but not pool temp.

PDA controls both perfectly.

One more question, are you changing the temp on the app itself on your phone or ipad?, Or do you change it from the iaqualink web site when you connect to your pool or hit the web button on the app? I have found that every once in a while my settings do not change from the app, only the web. Couple times My wife and I have been out and we decide to turn on the hot tub before we drove home and were very disappointed when the spa was not heated up. Now when I really want to make sure it took, I do it from the web itself or the web connection from the app.

Bump. Hi. I just had a new Aqualink RS installed with the iAqualink 2.0 WiFi. This replaced a broke PDA and aging board. Using the app, the Jandy heater will not switch from Spa to pool, and vice versa (but it says it has).
The installer told me the board only turns the heater on and off and it work via a different temp sensor.
The settings on the heater won't change. He said the PDA worked the same, I don't recall that.
So Sunday we were away from the house and I wanted to heat the pool a few degrees, I set it from the app. When I got home the pool was far exceeding the pool set temp (93 instead of 88 and rising). The Jandy heater panel was on Spa mode (102), it seemed like the heater was not going to stop before hitting 102. What is the point of having pool and spa heat modes in the app if they don't change that on the heater? Or control the temp? This can't be correct....right? Thanks. Jim

**Possibly fixed** I have been dumbfounded by this same issue. Aqualink remote works all lights and pool/spa modes except heat but has been fine for years. Once I got it to come on but wouldn’t go above 99 degrees even if iOnly way I could get heat was manually adjusting temp in the heat unit itself. Even my pool builder couldn’t understand. After reading this thread and trying some trouble shooting, I may have got it back to running sad normal.

To start, I never messed with the buttons on my Jandy JXI heater unit before this not paid attention to what the screen ever read before. While experiencing my issue, screen read “gas heater off” and not the “Remote Tstat “ i understand it was suppose to show. All steps to validate the settings in the menu of the heater unit showed remote tstat selected...so why wasn’t it working?

The lights are the key. On the spa side there are two lights (green and red). Red means heat is activated and green I’ll get to in a second. During my problem where the Aqualink wouldn’t control heat, neither light was on. However, once I pressed the SPA button, the green light came on. Now the Aqualink pda was in control of the heater but I still couldn’t get the heat above 99 degrees.

What worked for me was manually adjusting the temp in the heat unit to something high (I used 102). Then ensure the SPA showed the green light. My guess is the temp setting that I was adjusting on the heat unit was capping the temperature not to exceed and ignoring the pda setting when wanted a temp above 99. By increasing the unit temp, now the system would let me adjust on the Aqualink pda and allow a higher temp. I tested at 100 and 102 on the pda. Using a thermometer, the water temp adjusted with the pda after following those steps I took.

Hope this helps someone, now I get to cancel my service call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.