Does shocking increase Ph?

Jun 9, 2007
I'm new to the pool owners crowd. Been testing with strips until my Taylor test kit arrives. I worked on my hardness, then TA. I got those 2 in check. My current readings are:

Total Hardness = 250
TC = 1
FC = .5
Ph = 6.8
TA = 100
CA = 20

I sort of shocked the pool using clorax but was hesitant to put enough in to superchlorinate so I want to superchlorinate now. Will the clorax increase my Ph? If not, then I guess I should get the Ph in range first because I read that chlrine isn't as effective with out of range Ph. I started with green water but with vacumming and such, I now have cloudy blue water. I'm reading that shocking will help eliminate this. What does everyone think my next step should be? Raise Ph then superchlorinate? How long does it take for the chlorine to come back down to acceptable levels?
Thanks for the help.

skibender said:
I'm new to the pool owners crowd. Been testing with strips until my Taylor test kit arrives. I worked on my hardness, then TA. I got those 2 in check. My current readings are:

Total Hardness = 250
TC = 1
FC = .5
Ph = 6.8
TA = 100
CA = 20

I sort of shocked the pool using clorax but was hesitant to put enough in to superchlorinate so I want to superchlorinate now. Will the clorax increase my Ph? So little you won't be able to detect it

If not, then I guess I should get the Ph in range first because I read that chlrine isn't as effective with out of range Ph. I started with green water but with vacumming and such, I now have cloudy blue water. I'm reading that shocking will help eliminate this. It sure will.

What does everyone think my next step should be? Raise Ph then superchlorinate? That's exactly what I'd do. The chlrine is effective with that low pH but you don't want your pH down there for some other reasons. bring it up to 7.2 - 7.6 and then put you chlorine in. These steps can be done almost simultaneously...no need to wait.

How long does it take for the chlorine to come back down to acceptable levels? Depending. If you have no CYA (you don't report any) and it's sunny and your pool still has some cloudiness, you may find the chlorine gone in 24 hours
Thanks for the help.

Just remember that the pH test, whether strips or liquid, will not give accurate results and WILL test high when your chlorine levels are high! DO NOT attempt to lower your pH until your chlorine levels have dropped below shock level! The pH results are not accurate because of a chemical interaction between the high chlorine level and the indicator used to test pH!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.