Help. Pressure is high on gauge

Mar 9, 2015
Bonifay,Fl
I was going to start cleaning my pool to get it ready. It is green. No chemical in it yet. I have ran filter all winter at least 4 hrs per night. Today I put my creepy vac on to start working on the bottom. I notice the pressure was over 40psi, so I figured I better backwash and rinse. When I first did backwash noticed some sand came out I let it backwash for several minutes and then rinsed for several minutes. I let it vacuum for about 30 minutes and checked the pressure was back over 40 psi so I again backwashed but after several minute no water was coming out the waste line. So I rinsed again and then put the dial back to filter and let it run again pressure went right back to 40. so I tried backwashing again it bring the pressure down to 30 but nothing lower. But pressure goes right back up. I change the sand last year. I have very strong water return to the pool. Any suggestion as what might be going on?

Welcome to TFP!

Does the pressure go to zero when the pump is off? What pressure do you see when the multiport is set to recirculate?

If the gauge does not drop to 0 when the pump is off, then it is bad. I would recommend the large glycerin filled ones like tftestkit.net sells ... much better than the junk typically found locally.

Thank you for recommendation on the gauge. I will be ordering today. I also will be looking into a testing kit. All I have is test strips. I added swimtrim to start working in the algae. Running filter continuous. I know I have no free chlorine. I will read the SLAM.

Well, I highly recommend the TF-100 from tftestkit.net ... order that while getting your gauge ... add a SpeedStir if you like very helpful gadgets ;)

And since you need to SLAM, the XL option is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.