Pentair SD80 or Hayward S270T?

The S270T that I ordered was damaged on delivery so I will be sending it back and may opt for a Pentair despite the fact I got the Hayward for less than $300. The one I received had a damaged multiport and also has thin spots at the top. Although the laterals are all present and undamaged there is something going on.. I have 7 black, 2 grey, and 1 blue. Every other filter I observed had only black laterals. Doubt Amazon is shipping reconditioned or refurb units, but who knows and this is all just my .02.

Here are my takes on the two.. Over the past several days I went to a few different local pool stores to examine the two filters in person. Spoke with a few different customers that were in the stores that coincidentally had the same problem with their Hayward sand filter, lasted 4-5 years and then failed due to a leak on the top curve of the tank where the seam is. One particular person was shopping for his third filter, both previous filters being the S270T! Can anyone chime in on the construction and/or QC of these things??

Upon examining I came to find the Haywards do seem to suffer from poor construction, as the insides are not very uniform with many thin spots. The Haywards have 10 laterals that fold up to allow for easy installation and removal. The Pentair seemed to have a better mold construction along the seams, and had 6 laterals that were the screw in type and did not fold. I can’t say that there was a huge difference in the actual construction of the laterals, just that the Hayward had more.

The Hayward also features a multiport with the inlet and return on the same side, with the waste exiting on the opposite side. The Pentair filters that I observed with a 1.5” inlet utilized a multiport that I can best describe as being plumbed in the shape of a “T”

Hope this may help someone out there filter shopping!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.