NEW to pool and installing a new SWG

Oct 13, 2014
Oklahoma City, Ok
Hi i bought a house on Oct. 2014 and it has a pool it is the first time i have owned a house with a pool so i know very little about it. I have bought a Autopilot SWG and should be installed soon but i do noe know what oher chemicals i should buy to open the pool. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. My pool is roughly 15k gal and is made of gunite/plaster.

Thank You

Unless you refinished the pool surface, use Pool Math to tell you how much salt you will need to get to the recommended level for your SWG. Have some Muriatic Acid on hand to control pH. Get a TF-100 Test Kit from links on this site. Post a full set of test results, and we will help you go from there.

BTW, no need to buy "pool" salt. Just get the solar salt from the hardware store for half the cost.

I do recommend you measure your salt level before you add because you are not likely at 0ppm.

If you want the best setup, get the TF-100, the drop based salt test, and the SpeedStir :goodjob:

Congrats on the new house. I'm in the same situation you are in, but I've only seen the pool covered, except for some pictures. I'm waiting until at least next season for the SWG and dual/variable speed pump upgrade. Since I'm in MD, you will probably be a couple of weeks ahead of me. I'll be looking for additional comments from you.

Garrett

I second the recommendation for ordering the TF-100 and suggest you take a pool at Pool School starting with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

Those articles are great; but getting crystal clear, clean water is not rocket science. It's actually pretty danged easy once you get the hang of it and "getting the hang of it" means either you understand the chemistry and look at your pool as if it were a beaker from high school chemistry class or you were too busy flirting with the opposite sex during chemistry class, don't have any desire to learn it and just follow the flippin' instructions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.