Wiring two speed pump help needed

Aug 4, 2014
Allen, TX
I have attached two diagrams, one from intermatic electronic control center and second one from pentair 2 speed pump. Can somebody explain these diagrams and confirm that I my understanding is correct?
The way I understand is that white (common) line goes directly to pump port 1, and then black to circuit 1 of timer and then to port 2 on the pump, and red to circuit 2 and then to port 3 or 4 on the pump.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, what so does dotted lines in the first mean ?uploadfromtaptalk1425776164484.jpg

Assuming you have a 240 volt pump, starting from the circuit breaker: white/electrical common is not used, red is run directly to the common connection on the pump, black supplies both #3 and #5 on the timer, timer #4 runs to the high speed connection on the pump, #6 runs to the low speed connection on the pump.

The trick is that electrical common at the breaker is completely unrelated to the (speed) common connector at the pump. They serve unrelated purposes, even though they have similar names.

The setup is different if you have a 120 volt pump. Then: white/electrical common does run to common on the pump, black runs to #3 and #5 on the timer, and #4 and #6 run to the pump as above.

The dotted lines are kind of misleading, they refer to wires that run next to each other to another location. It is purely a conceptual relationship, not an electrical connection.

I also wanted to put a pump disconnect switch, and I ordered intermatic emergency switch. This switch accommodates 2 lines, but on wiring diagram of pool control center it shows 3 lines going to pump disconnect switch, one as you pointed out going directly from one of the breakers (red or common as I understand it from above post) and two coming from timer circuits 1 and 2.

Put the disconnect switch between the breaker and the timer/pump. That is, connect the emergency switch to the red and black wires after the pump circuit breaker and before they go anywhere else.

Note that I am assuming that the power for the timer it's self is wired separately. You don't want the emergency switch turning off the timer, just the pump.

Again, thanks bunch, I was actually planning on doing that, but then got worried based on the diagram :); I though it had to be after circuits, not between breaker(s) and circuit. On that subject of breakers, also in the manual it says that all circuits are single pole. Now, probably has nothing to do with breakers though. I bought double pole 15A GFCI breaker that is listed as allowed for this control panel. So, after this breaker, red will go to emergency switch, and then go directly to pump. Black will go also to emergency switch and then come back to circuit 1. From there jumper goes to circuit 2. Then out lines from circuit 1 and 2 go to pump ports 3 and 4. I think that is how it needs to be wired.

Yes, timer has a separate power supply, shown as coming from breaker, but I cannot find any info as far as what size of breaker.

A 240 volt circuit breaker is always double pole, since it switches both hot wires (red and black). The emergency switch is also double pole, again switching both black and red. However, in this application, the timer is only single pole, it only switches the black wire, while the red wire runs directly to the pump without getting switched.

Double pole switches are preferred, but only sometimes required. Double pole has a slight safety advantage. Both the circuit breaker and the emergency switch are required to be double pole on 240 volt circuits. The timer is not required to be double pole and it has become more common to see single pole timers. Some people prefer double pole timers enough to spend extra to get one.

What about power supply for the timer, do you have any idea what size of breaker I would need? I guess this one does not have to be GFCI, can be regular double pole. I am not sure what amperage should it be. I read what it says on the panel door, but there is no mention on the size of breaker for timer power supply. Only that timer is 120/240V and max 6 Watt.

The power draw of the timer is tiny, any amperage is fine, as is putting it on the same circuit with something else (even the pump). No CGFI is required for the timer power.

Depending on how things are setup, the simplest possibility is likely to be runing an second set of wires from the circuit breaker side of the emergency switch to the timer power inputs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.