issue with CYA and no chlorine detected

Jul 3, 2014
CA
Ch - None showing on the test, I can't get the color to change at all
PH - 7.5 (could be a 7.6, kinda close)
Alkalinity test - 140ppm
Calcium hardness - 420ppm
CYA - 100 or above, the test doesn't specifically state what it is above 100

so my issues are obviously two fold. first off, the chlorine isn't showing. i use the puck chlorine in a floater. it doesn't really seem to be reducing much. i put a 3 inch tab and after about 2 weeks there is still a good part of it left.

i had some issues last year and had to have my pool partially drained (3/4th's or so) and refilled. this was back in july of 2014 or so. how can i get my CYA down? i've read that you may need to refill the pool to get cya down but it just seems strange that i would have to drain/refill the pool twice in less than a year. something else must be happening or that i'm not doing.

any advice?

The only practical way to get the CYA level down is to replace water.

With CYA as high as it is now, it is unlikely you will be able to resolve the situation before lowering the CYA level. So getting CYA down is the first priority. Once you have CYA down to something more reasonable, it is time to SLAM the pool, see the description of SLAMing in Pool School.

If you are using trichlor pucks exclusively to provide chlorine, then that is what is causing your CYA problem. The pucks contain a lot of stabilizer. Every puck you add increases the CYA and finally you get to the point where there is so much CYA, that the FC is simply not sustainable.

Until you stop using pucks as your primary source of chlorine, then the problem will continue to repeat itself.

This is why TFP recommends to use either Liquid Chlorine or a Saltwater Generator to make it. Neither add other unnecessary chemicals to the water such as Pucks, or Powders do.

CYA - 100 or above, the test doesn't specifically state what it is above 100

i use the puck chlorine in a floater.

i've read that you may need to refill the pool to get cya down but it just seems strange that i would have to drain/refill the pool twice in less than a year. something else must be happening or that i'm not doing.

any advice?

drats. thanks for the replies fellas. i don't think i can drain the pool/refill for some time. there are restrictions in my city that say you can only do it a certain amount of times (on account of us being in a drought), and i just did it 6 months ago. i usually don't start using the pool for swimming until may or so, so maybe by that time i can do something with it. just frustrating that in only 6 months its out of control again.

i'll look into the liquid chlorine. any advice on where to get the best price? seems a bit on the high side from what i see online but maybe a local store has better deals

How many 25 lb buckets have you used. For your size pool. Every 25 lbs adds just shy of 100 ppm of CYA. That with no water replacement and probably added to the CYA that was already in the water. You can see how it adds up fast. TFP is about learning to accurately test and only adjusting what needs to be done. That's why we push liquid chlorine "household bleach" or SWCG. Good luck and ask questions. That's what this place is all about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.