Recommendations on a new pool vac

tlhwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2012
Hello All,

I have an ageing Hayward Pool Vac Ultra. I have been doing a fair amount of preventative maintenance on it for some time. However, I think we are reaching the point of letting the old girl go.

I am looking for a suitable replacement. I am not one to spend a ton on fancy new equipment. Having a durable, serviceable and reliable pool vac are the only requirements.

I though a post on the forum might be a good idea. If you have an opinion or recommendation on a replacement, please feel free to respond.

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

Todd

P.S. I can't read the model number on the current vac. Here is a photo

Pool-Vac-Ultra.m.jpg

If you want to stay with a suction side cleaner, I dont think you can beat ThePoolCleaner. A few folks here have them and they seem to be very good at what they do. Ive never heard a negative review of them.
http://www.inyopools.com/cleaners_poolvergnuegen.aspx

Then of course there are the robots. Even the no frills ones are expensive, starting around 600 for one with a good reputation.
Maytronics Dolphin and Haywar Tiger lines both have a pretty good rep.

Note: any links provided are for reference only to a product and not an endorsement of the seller.

I just picked up a ThePoolCleaner myself. They were bought out by Hayward who has now put out a copy of it ... for 20% more $. Pentair also released one that looks very similar.

I too have never heard a bad review.

If you are looking to save money I bought the generic kreepy krualy on amazon for 85 an have had it for a year with no issues, not as nice as the real product but if it lasts me another year then is be happy but at 85 vs 500 it's a big difference when most pool vacs last 4 seasons.

I had the Hayward for about 10 years and had it rebuilt twice and eventually became so proficient, that I rebuilt the entire thing by myself. It was not that hard to rebuild it. Just a bunch of gears and screws to deal with it.

When I got tired of rebuilding it, it was a toss up between the Hayward and Polaris. I wanted the robotic cleaner but that was too expensive so, I wound up with a MX8. Other than the suction tube working itself loose from the side of the pool, I really like it. It does not clog as easy as the Hayward. I have only had to remove it once from the pool. It scales up and down the side walls to help clean them and just requires the tread belt to be replaced. The pool cleaner is about 3 years old now and I am looking at replacing the treads which are about $20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm torn between the Tigershark, Oasis Z5 and the Polaris 9550 sport. I have a fiberglass pool with a lot of landscaping and nearby trees. Any ideas on what I should get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.