Noise reduction

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
We live in tight quarters with our neighbors being close. Their music comes over. Is there anything out there that we could put up that would block the sound - particularly when I don't feel like listening to old fart music?

A wall with a vine growing on it AND a water feature to muffle it?

Maybe a wall like walls in the house with plywood on either side of 2x4 or even 4x4 with spray foam between the plywood. You could paint a pretty mural on it.

Kim

I have been through this with my neighbor and with me being the offending party. I did not realize how much the sound echoed between our houses until I went over one night to help the neighbor move something in his backyard. Shortly after I added a new hedge between where they sit and where we sit to help dampen the sound. I also ended up moving the speakers to closer to where I sit. It might be worth talking to them in a polite way.

I agree that a tall thick fence helps.. it really keeps our party noise in. Also agree a water feature could help block their music. If I go in the alley during a party the waterfall definitely overrides party noise. I'm sure my "other" neighbors like that sound better too.

22,000 IG Pool, Spa, Jandy 2.0 Stealth VS, LXi400N Heater, Jandy 460 filter, grotto waterfall/slide

We already have a double wood fence -- unfortunately I didn't realize how much noisier it was with all the concrete in our yard. I looked into sound barriers but you have to put them up in between the fence and ours is already up with a cat fence on top of that! We have 2 trees that we planted that I think are evergreens and 2 bamboo and 3 queen ann palms.

We have a water feature on our pool.

Bobodaclown -- these are the same neighbors who had a cow that we ruined their side of our shared lawn while installing our pool - even tho we had their permission to do so and told them we would put it back. AND we did and made sure it was to their specification. However, they have turned into a decidedly petty lot who are the type to not talk to you rather than be mature and tell you what the problem is. They are way too old (late 30s and early 40s) to behave this way. I wanted to try and resolve it without having to say anything to them bc I am about to have to say something to them that their $&#*^$#*&^%$ dog that is barking again. As an example of petty, we stained our fence. They had stained their fence previous to us -- like a year previous. However, the side piece - the one that faces out, they didn't stain it so we did. Then one weekend, they took the board down, made a point of leaning it against the side of their house (we live in a cul-de-sac) so we could see it and replaced it with Their board with Their stain color on it. PETTY.

And also, after their pool was finished in April of '13, they did not once invite us over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I sense your frustration and - at times - emotion can make a completely innocent action seem malicious. A good conversation is in order. Besides the volume of the speaker, perhaps the height and direction can be altered. A nice outdoor speaker pointed at their house from the yard will give great sound focused back to their party than towards your shared space. Beyond that, DENSITY is required to deaden sound, so anything you can place between the two areas will help (some). Greenscape, hard scape and even heavy outdoor curtains can help. I agree that placing a white noise closer to your area will help - especially a waterfall of some height (2' or greater) landing on water or rock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.