Booster Pump, and Jandy Valves

bwright42tx

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in here or not, but to me this seemd like a fairly advanced question/topic.

I'm fairly new to my IG pool, just finished Wednesday, but I'm already seeing some things I'd wished I'd one differently (or I should say I wish my PB had done differently).

My pool has a Two HP dual speed pump and a 1. HP booster pump for my Grotto. The pool has two main drains and a skimmer with two drains below it, all piped back to one main suction line, the SPA has two main drains piped back to one main suction line. The suction side cleaner has two outlets in the pool, bith piped back to one line. The Pool drains (skimmer, etc) go into one side a manual valve, and the cleaner lines go into the other side. This is then piped to a Jandy Valve that can switch between the pool side and the spa side. There is another Jandy valve on the retunr side to switch between the spa jets and the pool returns. The booster pump pulls off the suction line from the pool and then pipes out to two seperate manual valves one for the grotto and one for the pool return lines.

Now for the questions.

1. Can the Jandy valve be opened to a "middle" so its pulling from both the pool drains and the spa drains, or can the PS8 controller only have it at 1 or 2 (Pool or Spa)?

2. Could I install Jandy Valves in place of the Grotto/Pool Return valves so I could use the booster pump and have it sutomatically turn on for the pool returns when the SPA is running? (to keep water circulating in the pool)

3. Would there be any benefit to running the bosster pump, with the gotot off and the pool returns on n conjunction with the main pump? (i.e. would this speed up circulation and water turnover?)

4. Is there anyway to tell if the Jandy valves are actually working. Even with the Spa switched on it seems to still be pulling water from the pool and returning t to the Spa, but maybe there just isn't enough suction for me to notice on the SPA drains.

Thanks,

Bryan

1) Jandy valves can be in any intermediate position. However, the automation system only allows for two positions. If you want one of those positions to be to draw from both drains then you can't also have pool only and spa only all at the same time, because that would be three positions.

2) You could, but I am not sure why you would want to.

3) The booster pump will speed up circulation, but by so little that it is really a waste of time. Booster pumps are designed to be high pressure low volume pumps.

4) Check the water movement on both the spa side and the pool side. If you can't feel the water moving try squirting a small amount of food coloring in the water near the drain so you can see if the water is moving.

The primary item I was trying to acheive was the ability to run the spa in "Spill Over" mode, where it pulls water from the pool and sends it to the spa, then spills back over into the pool . . .I suppose this is still acheivable wthout any changes, just by Prgramming the suction valve to go in the pool position and the return into the SPA position.

Regarding My Question 2. I was thinking this would allow for the above scenario by turing the booster pump to the return jets, however this would probably just be re-circulating Spa water into the pool and may drain my spa failry rapidly.

I think I've answered/solved my own question, along with your help understanding how the Jandy Valves work.

Bryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.