Moving from 1.5" to 2" Plumbing at the Pad

mapcom

Mar 6, 2015
St. Louis/MO
Hello,

My current setup is a single speed Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP, 24 Inch Hayward Sand Filter, Offline Chlorinator, Busted Jandy Propane Pool Heater, and Hayward .75 HP booster pump driving a 280 Polaris.

I am replacing the heater with a 250k BTU Pentair HD, and the pump with a Pentair Intelliflo VF. (Both take 2" plumbing) I have been told to change all the plumbing at the pad to 2". My concern is that the multiport valve on top of the sand filter takes 1.5" I know I can reduce the size when going in and out of the multi port valve but not sure if this will cause issues?

Also, going to replace the booster pump with something much quieter, any suggests?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are some small advantages to replacing as much of the plumbing to 2" as you can while you are working on it anyway. No worries about reducing to 1.5" where you need to.

I would suggest ditching the 280 and booster pump and getting a cleaner than does not require a booster pump, or even better a separate robot. Why require having 2 pumps running just to clean the pool?

Have you already bought the equipment? The intelliflo is likely over-sized for you what you need (given your existing pump) and you could get a smaller and cheaper VS pump (or even just a 2-speed motor or pump if you electrical costs are not very high). Also Raypak heaters get better feedback than most all other brands.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Updated my signature :) My energy cost is 11.36 per kwh but is due to increase 10% this year. I am looking for the most hands off setup and figured the Intelliflo VF would be the answer? I'll take your recommendation for a smaller pump, any models in mind? Also, for the pool cleaner, I have had a 280 for 14 years or so and love the fact I can leave it in all the time and take it out when we swim (if at all). The idea of having to drop a robot in to get pool clean, and then taking it our and putting it away is not my idea of hands off :)

No pool is hands-off ... not sure why you would think a VS pump would make it more so. :scratch:

For the pump if you just want a 2 speed with a manual switch (leave it on low almost all the time and just switch to high for backwashing, etc) you could just get a motor the equivalent size to the one you have and put it on your existing pump. Or replace the pump with a Super Pump or Superflo 1HP 2-speed pump.

If you want a VS (your power cost is not really that high), then look at the Max-flo VS or the Superflo VS ... which are roughly the same size as what you have on high speed.

BTW, I do NOT recommend the Intelliflo VF ... if you want a big expensive full feature pump for some unknown reason, then get the Intelliflo VS ... there is a difference.

How are you chlorinating your pool? What are you testing with?
If you want your pool to be easy to care for ... then these are the types of questions you need to address.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.