White Ring Around Pool

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
I've noticed a white haze around my pool rock work & tile. Suggestions on what's causing this & how to remedy it?
bdbd36ac0d26b5093e2786da7fa256a3.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, whatever is in your water (dissolved minerals) are being left behind when water dries. How you manage your chemistry can have some effect on waterline scale, but you can't stop it entirely.

I have a friend around Lavernia and his water is very soft. Yours may be very good as well. How long has this pool been in service?

Start with the information in Pool School. Begin with the ABCs and work from there. This is a good place to start in terms of learning how to manage water chemistry for your pool.

Edit:
If you are ahead of that, post back with some recent numbers and how you are currently testing/managing your water.

@Patrick_B,

The pool opened 9/15/14, so it's pretty new - I haven't even had a chance to swim before the weather started changing! I'm using bleach (8.25%), Muriatic acid (31.45%) and baking soda to adjust levels since it opened based on the Pool Pal app for Android. It has a template for TFP recommended levels. My last measurements from about a week ago were as follows: Temp-53.0F, FC-1.5, pH-8.0. I added 38oz bleach and 21oz acid. I'm currently out of reagent for TA, but when I tested last time on Feb 1, it was 90. It seems like I add a lot of acid, but I expect that's due to the age of the PebbleTec...

The pH is one of the most important things you can do for a pool, and especially this. Focus on that and keep it no higher than 7.8. Do your best to maintain it a little lower and it will help some. Focus on pH before TA. Being blunt and honest, you'll never eliminate this and it's going to show more on your waterline than most that have glazed tile. The porous rock on your waterline will be harder to clean as well. It's not to say I don't like it, quite the opposite. It's just that it will hold and soak up more water, and the minerals will show more when that water dries. It may clean up some with the method Dave suggests above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.