GL 235 Solar Controller blowing fuses

Nov 24, 2014
Lighthouse Point, FL
Hi,
I am not sure how old the controller is, as we just bought the house about 16 months ago, but it has worked fine up until now. A couple days ago I noticed the power light was not on. My pump and SWG system was on and running, so it wasn't the breaker. I pulled the panel off and found the 2 amp fuse was burned, so I replaced it and everything looked fine.

The next day, no power light again and another burnt fuse. Does this mean the circuit board has gone on it? Anyone have any suggestions? I priced circuit board repair at around $95, and a new controller at (the valve seems fine) at $198, so am hoping there is an alternative cause.

Thanks in advance!

I'd check to make sure the wires in the actuator aren't shorted and if they're not I'd replace the actuator. I suspect that the motor assembly will be about as much as a complete unit.

Well, fun fun fun. I took the actuator off, Opened it up and lo and behold there was a little bit of water in there! I'm not sure if I can dry it out as the capacitor looks a little soggy, unless I can just replace that? The water was only in the bottom so it wasn't near the actual motor, but definitely was over the switch at the bottom. So maybe the switch was shorting out the controller before damaging the motor?

Guess I was lax in lubricating the activator shaft under the handle annually as recommended in the manual I found online, argh!

Well, fun fun fun. I took the actuator off, Opened it up and lo and behold there was a little bit of water in there! I'm not sure if I can dry it out as the capacitor looks a little soggy, unless I can just replace that? The water was only in the bottom so it wasn't near the actual motor, but definitely was over the switch at the bottom. So maybe the switch was shorting out the controller before damaging the motor?

Guess I was lax in lubricating the activator shaft under the handle annually as recommended in the manual I found online, argh!

Well, I searched everywhere for a 33uF 100v capacitor with no joy. There was no guarantee anyway that that would have solved the problem anyway, so I did some shopping for a new actuator and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-PE...425739832&sr=1-1&keywords=pool+valve+actuator

It's only $85, way less than other brands, and gets good reviews from purchasers. Any experiences with the Intermatic PE24VA actuator before I order it?
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.