Vacuuming - never done it before!

Keebert

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2015
Richmond, TX
I have some fine sand/dirt in the bottom of the pool - I'm assuming it's not DE but you never know! I guess I need to vacuum it and I have the hose to fit to the weir basket and the vacuum brush head and know that I need to fill the hose with water etc and the mechanics of the vacuuming.

My question is will vacuuming this fine sand damage the pump? I guess I have no choice but is there a filter or something that can catch the sand (perhaps in the pump basket) before it hits the pump?

Also, do I vacuum to the filter or vacuum to waste?

If you have larger debris, you would want to have a leaf catcher or similar in place. If it is just a little dirt, then there is no problem just vacuuming it up.

You can vacuum to waste or to the filter, you will lose a lot of water going to waste though.

I have a pool cleaner - I think it's a Polaris 300 or something and it has its own pump. All it does is pick up leaves and large debris so really all that is left is the sand. Should it be picking up the sand also? I can't imagine how since it only has one line going to it... What kind of robot should I get?

I actually like vacuuming my pool. I put on goggles and dive down deep and use the hand held cleaner and make sure i get it all. Sometimes i use a cheap snorkel and stay under for 5 or 10 mins. Maybe I'm weird, but i get enjoyment out of it....LOL Might be harder on a pool with a deep end though.

And i vacuum straight to the filter unless I need to drain some, then i turn it to waste and drop the water level a bit. It all comes out when I backwash anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.