2-Speed Motor Replacement?

Mar 4, 2015
Jupiter, FL
Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum and have an interest in replacing my pump for energy costs. Our electric pricing is two tiered with the upper tier (we always hit) having a rate of $0.11/kW. I was initially looking at a VS pump but found out that a 2-speed upgrade may be an option. The pump is a Pentair SuperFlo 2 HP, below is the label. Any suggestions are appreciated.
FullSizeRender.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That electrical cost sure does not really warrant a VS pump, so a 2-speed is a better choice. Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? Replacing even just the motor when you already have a functioning pump is not likely to save you money in the long run ... meaning, you are going to spend ~$300 to save a a few $10s each month ... likely to take multiple years to save more then you spend.

Can you provide more details about your pool? Do you have any higher flow needs? The reason I ask is that a 2.2 SFHP pump may be more than you need and you could save more by going with a smaller 2-speed motor and impeller.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, IMO your filter is too small. Something closer to 325 sqft would be a better fit for your pool size and length of season.

I was thinking it might be overpowered for this pool. Nothing wrong with the pump currently. The pump and pool are at the same grade and there is a basic water feature that I don't normally use. I'm planning on purchasing a robotic cleaner at some point.

I was estimating that my monthly cost to operate this pump is about $70.

Easiest way to save money on electricity is to not run the pump ;) How long do you run the pump? Have you read this: Determine Pump Run Time

I would think you could go with the 1HP 2-speed motor and a 1HP impeller (and a new shaft seal). That would give you the equivalent of the pump I have and just save this motor as an emergency back-up.

Yeah that would fit. There are non Pentair motors as well that would work. Don't forget you need to get the 1HP impeller if you are going to make the motor smaller. And you need a new shaft seal at the minimum.

Price seemed cheaper than I expected, but not sure if it is a good deal ... my quick search did not find anything cheaper.

The impeller you need is: Pentair 355067 (~$25)

Just do a search for Superflo shaft seal ... and either just get that seal or the kit that includes all the o-rings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.