Midnight blue, dark blue, light blue and every blue in between?

Jan 29, 2015
FL
We are remodeling our pool and installing a pebble finish, we will need too choose a color in the next 2 days. Our PB uses stone scapes and we have been leaning towards Midnight Blue. We look at pools over and over and always seem to come back to this same color. But, we are concerned it may be too dark - our pool only gets sun from about 10am to 3pm other than that it is in the shade and we have a screen - none of the pictures online have a screens over the pools. We have tried to find a pool in the area that we can visit in person but have not been able to.

What we are looking for is a deep rich blue, and we plan to add dark and light blue glass beads to any finish we go with. What we don't want: any green or teal int he water, light blues, Bahama looking water blues, strong blues that are electric and look fake as a result i.e. a bottle of Windex or Dawn. We would like the blue to be deep in color but don't want the pool to be so dark that it looks dim, dimness is our biggest concern with this color.

Midnight blue pool -

Midnight blue pebble Dry -

Midnight blue pebble wet with glass beads-

Our options are
1. Go ahead with the Midnight Blue and err on the side that we may end up with a darker pool than we wanted
2. Err on the side of tropics blue and that we may end up with a pool that is lighter than we wanted - the tropics pebbles seems very grey and the water can look quite light in some pictures. As you can see in the pictures below the 2nd example is much lighter than the first, and would be lighter than we wanted

Tropics pool 1 -

Tropics pool 2 -

Tropics blue pebble dry -

Tropics blue pebble wet -

3. Or go ahead with the Midnight blue but modify the pebble colors in the finish. We are thinking that if we go with this option we could replace 50% or the black with grey plus add the blue glass to the midnight blue and that may help ensure we don't end up with a dim look. The major disadvantage with this being that we have no ability to preview the color at all

We also liked the Stonescapes Exotic Series Bimini and thought that may look good, but after scouring the web I can find no examples where anyone has ever put this in their pool.

Bimini -

Advice from anyone with experience with any of these colors, choosing custom colors or the over all color choosing process would be much appreciated.

We customized our finish color. We feared the fake blue. Go with a lighter one and you'll be surprised how deep those blues can be. Since you are adding darker beads, I think this would really work well for you. For me, I don't like the darker ones at low light or angles as they look black, or so dark the blue doesnt show up. Greys give vivid blue hues as well.

Water depth and surroundings play a major role. Deeper=Darker so keep that in mind. Good luck!

We are in the same boat as you. Our pool has not be plastered yet, but decided on going with the Tropics Blue Mini pebble. We like the color in pics when tropics blue is at its darkest...but don't like it at its lightest. We like midnight blue, however...when we see pics at its darkest...it is too dark for us.

Everything you read says that "it depends."

We are making our decision based on the following (right or wrong.) Our neighbor immediately next door has the Pebbletec Midnight Blue and it is too dark for us. From everything I have looked at and read... Stonescape's Midnight blue is lighter than Pebbletec's Midnight Blue. But my neighbor and I also conclude that his pool color more closely represents the darker side of midnight blue. So we conclude that our pool will show the darkest of either the Tropics Blue or Midnight Blue (based on identical surroundings, orientation, sunlight, etc.) So... we opted for the Tropics Blue and are going to hold on for the ride hoping it looks more closely to the darker Tropics Blue pictures.

I have Wet Edge "Midnight Ocean", which the analog to your "Midnight Blue" above. It's not green, under any circumstances...and it's definitely not dim. It's a bit darker than most pools, but it serves to make ours look a little deeper than it really is. When the sun is shining outside, it sparkles light crazy.

But please keep in mind that there are 3 primary things that affect your water color.
1. Chemical Balance. You don't want metals or organics making your pool turn red or green.
2. Plaster/Pebble color.
3. Color of surrounding structures, landscapes, decking, etc. Don't underestimate how much the colors surrounding your pool will influence the water color. This is the part that you can't look at on web sites; you need to look at in-person.

Go for your first choice. You'll be happy with it.

My neighbor has the stonescapes midnight blue and it is no where near as dark as your pictures at the start, it is a darker lagoon look then that deep blue color in the pictures. Just my observation of that color and it looks good but not like those pictures do

There is a customer color in between the two that looks nice too. Blue sea? I believe, check it out its between a midnight and tahoe blue color, Custom blend they do

My neighbor has the stonescapes midnight blue and it is no where near as dark as your pictures at the start, it is a darker lagoon look then that deep blue color in the pictures. Just my observation of that color and it looks good but not like those pictures do

There is a customer color in between the two that looks nice too. Blue sea? I believe, check it out its between a midnight and tahoe blue color, Custom blend they do

I am confused by your statement, you said that your neighbors pool is lighter than the picture I have at the top and not as deep blue? So the colors is lighter and less blue?, How does it also look like darker lagoon? - I am not exactly sure what you mean by darker lagoon - is there another way you can describe the color? Thanks for any clarification.

I am confused by your statement, you said that your neighbors pool is lighter than the picture I have at the top and not as deep blue? So the colors is lighter and less blue?, How does it also look like darker lagoon? - I am not exactly sure what you mean by darker lagoon - is there another way you can describe the color? Thanks for any clarification.

Somewhat open to conjecture, but Lagoon colors are typically quite dark, leaning to Black-Ish colors.

The difference in people saying "I know someone with X color, and I know it's lighter than that" is what I was talking about.

Surroundings play a huge role in water color perception and outcome.

A few thoughts...

When you look into your pool, do you see the sky reflected in most of it or is more of it something in the background like a house or landscaping. The latter will darken up any color selection versus a pool in a wide open setting like the "Tropics Pool 2" pic. Also being in a screen house will darken it up. The screen effect should be easy to quantify by looking at your decking under the screen house and outside of it.

Also, do you want the color to be your favorite between 10 and 3 or in the shady times. The difference is night and day.

Decide whether too dark or too light is a dealbreaker for you and err on the other side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6e532de8fde803a1d4b2daaafcec0371.jpg

Our pool is Stonescapes Midnight Blue and looks darker in this photo than it really is. We are very happy with the color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill get you a picture of it tomorrow when I'm home from work, sorry for the confusion, Patrick kind of has it right, the color is not the same as the picture you posted, by lagoonish I meant more of a darker water without the deep colors and clarity the picture you have shows, some of that may be their water maintenance also

Here's mine in midnight blue. It's a quartz plaster by the same company that makes the Stonescapes mini pebble. Just including it here to give you some idea of the color in various lights. I personally like the color, but I like many other colors, too. I think I'd have been just as happy with the pool a shade or two lighter or darker. It's really difficult to tell just how amazing the water looks over pictures.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Seems like we're all searching for that perfect blue. Our PB installs WetEdge, for us it's between the more expensive Prism Matrix Deep Blue Sea or the Satin Matrix Midnight Sea. Here's a pic of the 2 side by side. The more reflective one with the glass beads is the Prism Matrix. Leaning towards that one...
42279E0A-8C9E-4B4C-92E5-307B6BF62813_zpsx5ttm7ib.jpg

18DCE298-BD55-4819-B075-5F0C98B558A6_zpsfghwe1ip.jpg

99797443-F5EA-4B59-954D-A0BF9FEB8574_zpsoczcgpu9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.