Considering switching to CircuPool SWG, some questions

sackmonkey

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2014
Clarkston, MI
I'm considering switching to SWG for my ~38,000 gallon IG pool this spring. I was eyeing the Circupool Si-60+ unit and wanted to check here to see if anyone had any suggestions. I've read a ton of threads over the past few weeks and I realize that all brands have their issues, but the Circupool seems reasonable bang for the buck, and I like the positive posts about their (human!) customer support.

I noticed that several people are choosing the Si cells instead of the Si+ (which has longer warranty, supposedly slightly thicker titanium in the cell plates, and different software), but the extra warranty makes me feel better about the transition to SWG. My pool currently runs about 11 hrs/day, 4.5 months/year.

- Is this the right size cell for my pool? Or is it overkill and I should look at the Si-45's? (about $100 less)
- Am I crazy to spend the extra $80 on the "Plus" version? I don't know if there's enough data out there to determine long term reliability, but I'm surprised to see that most people here don't seem to be getting the Plus.
- DiscountSaltPool is running their sale again where you get the next size up cell for the same price as the lower one. That means just under $1K for the top-dog Si-60+. At this price point, should I be considering a different brand rather than CircuPool?

I've been a pool owner since July last year, and am really looking forward to a TFP. I've learned SO MUCH on this site and am proud to be a Lifetime Member now. Last summer was a big learning curve with pucks, and I was consider building my own liquid chlorine automation system with a Raspberry Pi and Stenner pump, but the ease of a SWG is proving too tempting to me. ;)

Sorry for starting yet another SWG question thread. I appreciate any feedback before I plunk down my $1K.

Thanks,

Rob

A couple comments:
1. Running 11 hours a day is likely way overkill, you should need less than half of that. See: Determine Pump Run Time
2. We recommend a SWG 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. So I think a 40 or 45k cell is a bit on the small side.
3. Since you are only running the SWG half the year, I am not sure you would get a benefit of a slightly longer warranty. The + might last longer, but you will be out of warranty for either before the cell starts to wear out. I mean theoretically, given identical cells, it should last you twice as long as me where I am running year round due to wear.
4. I am not sure you can beat a 60k system for under $1000

The CompuPool SWG is the cheapest on the market for 60k rated cell. They had problems with their old models but so far I haven't seen too many complaints about the new models.

The run time might be dependent on the cell size you choose. Choose the 60k cell as you will be able to get away with a shorter run time.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had meant to put in my original post that the 11 hour run time was carried over from the previous owner and that it's something I want to shorten for sure. Those $400/month electric bills were killer!

I hadn't thought about the warranty from that perspective. I think I'll take that advice and get the Si-60 non-plus version.

My Si30+ arrived on Wednesday.

Yep, they shipped the wrong one. The Si60 should be here Monday. Having a real human available and responsive was one of the reasons i went with Circupool, and I'm happy to have had my first experience go smoothly with them.

No worries, I have a couple months before I can open the pool anyway.

My Si30+ arrived on Wednesday.

Yep, they shipped the wrong one. The Si60 should be here Monday. Having a real human available and responsive was one of the reasons i went with Circupool, and I'm happy to have had my first experience go smoothly with them.

No worries, I have a couple months before I can open the pool anyway.

Sackmonkey,

wondering after a year or more of use with the Si-60 how you like it so far. My pool will be the same size as yours and I am considering the SJ-60 or the Si-60 (not sure the difference between them) for my 35K - 36K pool.

-Mickey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
True, I would have to get the SJ-60 or SJ-60 Plus for my sized pool. I was able to get my pool kit and all the equipment at wholesale cost of my dealer, so I think i went a little overboard on the size, but i have a big family and will enjoy a large shallow end that I will have on a T shape pool. The shallow end is 16'x32' with a 48" wall instead of a standard 42" wall. Most of my family is tall and wanted a little extra depth. The adults spend most of out time in the shallow end.

ll let you know after I open it in a couple weeks. They supposedly fixed the fuse blowing issue last Fall, but I haven't tested it yet.

In terms of capacity, it has zero issues keeping up. I run my pump around 6-8 hrs per day and keep the chlorine control dial set at only around 20%!

There was zero scaling on the cell after the first season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.