TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Members frequently ask "Where is the best place to buy liquid chlorine where I live?"

This thread is an attempt to consolidate all of the places you know of in your town so others can share in your good deal.

If you know a place that has a good deal on liquid chlorine, whether it is a pool store, janitorial supplier or whatever, reply to this thread with the name of the business, the details including price, concentration and quantity, and we'll add it to this list.

US Wide:

Walmart: $2.94 for 121oz of 8.25%. 29.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Sams Club: $9.47 for 3 count 121oz of 8.25%. 31.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Aldi's: ????

Alabama

Mobile: Pinch-A-Penny 2.5 gal refillable (10.5%) $8.99 initial, $6.08 refill ... 18.1 cents/oz of sodium hypochlorite

Alaska

Arizona

Check for a local HASA dealer who generally sell bulk chlorine at a good price

Tucson: E-Konomy Pool, 4912 E 22nd St, Refillable 4 gallons of 12% for $13.96 = 22.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Arkansas

California

San Rafael/Petaluma: Herb's Pool Service Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Orlando: Pinch a Penny and Leslie's refillable 2.5 gallons of 10% for $5 after tax. 15.6 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Idaho: Fred Meyer has their 8.25% 121 oz jugs on sale for $2.69. 26.9 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Illinois

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Indiana

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Menards: $3.99 for one gallon of 12%. 26 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. On sale around Memorial Day as BOGO making it 13 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Raleigh: MVP Services, 5813 Triangle Dr $13.50 for 5 gallons. of 12%. 17.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Dallas: Riviera Pools 12.6% HASA Chlorine for $22 for 4 gallons. 34.1 cents per gallon of sodium hypochlorite.

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

The cents per ounce is really cents per ounce per percent chlorine (as a fraction). To more accurately compare, one should use a consistent percentage of Trade % rather than Weight %. Chlorinating liquid is usually quoted in Trade % (% Available Chlorine by Volume) while bleach is usually quoted with weight %. 6% bleach is 6.17% Trade. 8.25% bleach is 8.64% Trade.

Prices should also be consistent in terms of pre-tax vs. including tax. I presume that the prices listed are pre-tax.

California: Herb's Pool Service in San Rafael (and Petaluma) Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz./%

Prices went up substantially around the end of last year. It used to be $15.40 until recently. I'm going to go to Orchard Supply Hardware and to Home Depot to get some more comparison prices though those are not refillable containers (i.e. you need to recycle them).

Menards: Being based in Wisconsin, Menards should at least be listed there too. From their web site: "stores located in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming"
Also Menards has Crystal Bleach 8.25% (by weight) 121oz normally for $2.97 but is frequently on sale (as it is now) for $1.99, useful when the 12% is not on sale. It is where I buy all of my chlorine in Iowa.

I have yet to switch over to liquid vs pucks, still looking at prices and trying to understand the daily ritual needed (including pouring, storing).

In my research here in the North Dallas area:
- 12.6% HASA Chlorine for $22 for 4 gallons ($5.50 per gallon) via Riviera Pools of Dallas.
- 8.25% Clorox at Costco for $8.99 for 3 / 121 oz ($2.99 per 121 oz -- almost a gallon).

I have yet to find high percentage clorox in Target/Walmart.

The Walmart Great Value is indeed 8.25% and around $2.80 for the 121 oz. I was just scoping it out yesterday. There was a smaller 'Top Job' next to it on the shelf (~2 quart) for $1 however I could not find a listing of the %. It was the best value but I think the % is likely to be quite low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sacramento, CA area -- All Clear Pool&Spa, 3 locations (Elk Grove, Greenhaven, and near 50 and Bradshaw). Normal price $3.99/gal of HASA 12.5% in refillable bottles ($6 deposit for 4 bottles and carrier) but they have a buy-11-get-12th-gallon-free card, so effective price seems to be $3.66/gal, or 22.86 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. And there was a coupon for the 4th gallon free for the first case.

Reactions: ardymary
California - Bay Area (Brentwood)

I'm not sure about the Trade % that Chem Geek referred to above, but I compared prices last year using the formula: P/(Oz*S), where "P" equals price, "Oz" is ounces in container, and "S" is the percent strength as a decimal. I had the following results in my area. Again, these were the prices last summer for everyone but Ace, which is the current price. Ace was substantially cheaper last summer, so I haven't had a need to get the current prices elsewhere.

Ace Hardware: $.226 per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. It is $14.49 for 4 gallons of 12.5%. This is on the exchange system and does not include the initial $6 deposit for the crate and jugs, since you get that back at the end.

Home Depot: $.30 per ounce when bought as regular bleach, and $.27 per ounce when buying the KemTek 2-gallon pack (I didn't note the percent and sizes, just the results)

Leslies Pool Supply: $.31 per ounce It was $8 for 2 gallons of 10%

Last edited:
Just found out our new Rural King has 10% for $1.99/gal. Guess where I'm going when I need to stock up! I need to find the thread about how long you can store bleach, and under what circumstances before it degrades. I could buy 4-5 cases, and still come out ahead over walmart even if it does degrade some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Houston TX and surrouding burbs, the best price I have found is NAPCO Chemical in Spring (roughly FM 2920 and Spring Cypress rd.) Its $1.68 for 1 gallon of 12.5%. 5 Gallons was $9.40 after tax. Make sure you have an appropriate contrainer, and that it has a large fill opening, as their hose is at least 1" OD. Too bad it is far away from me. Works out to $.13 per oz. !!!!

Next best I have found is Aldi's, $1.39 for 8.25% 64 oz. works out to $.26 per oz.

Leslie's pool in Sugar Land is $18 for four gallons of 12.5% (guy said maybe 15% on phone, really doubt that though.) I have not bought here. $.28 per oz.

Around Houston, there is also Glacier Pool Supplies & Spas that sell both 12.5% and 10% liquid. The 12.5% is made by HASA and is $17.99 per 4 gallon case. I can't remember who makes the 10% but it is labeled as Liqui-Shock, and is $14.99 per 4 gallon case. They have a store in Spring, and also in League City. So far it's been the best deal as far as price per ounce of pure NaClO.

Re: Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine - Gilbert AZ

Gilbert AZ - Corson's A&M - Warner and McQueen (other Phoenix locations as well)
HASA refillable case - 4 gallons of 12.5% - $14.99 -- 23.4 cents/ounce/percent

Coupon - buy 3, get 1 free - making it 17.6 cents/ounce/percent
Coupon on circular received in mail or some available at store - good through 07/15/2015

Initial deposit on plastic case and 4 jugs - $6.00

Last edited:
Re: Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine - Gilbert AZ

Best price that I found in Connecticut is at Ocean State Job Lot. One gallon jugs of 12.5% at $2.99. This is their everyday price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support