Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're in PA or NJ (and possibly elsewhere), Ollie's Discount Outlet carries liquid "Shock" for $2.99/gal. This stuff is yellowish in color, somewhat thicker than regular bleach, and burns a bit when it splashes on your skin ;) Based on my experimentation, it is approximately 4x as strong as bargain-brand household bleach (in my pool, it raises FC by 3 full points, as opposed to 0.8 for a gallon of cheap-o bleach).

-Pete

If you're in PA or NJ (and possibly elsewhere), Ollie's Discount Outlet carries liquid "Shock" for $2.99/gal. This stuff is yellowish in color, somewhat thicker than regular bleach, and burns a bit when it splashes on your skin ;) Based on my experimentation, it is approximately 4x as strong as bargain-brand household bleach (in my pool, it raises FC by 3 full points, as opposed to 0.8 for a gallon of cheap-o bleach).

-Pete

Great info Pete. I wonder if this is the same brand of "Liquid Shock" that is being sold at my local Redners Market for $2.99 per gallon or 4/$10. It's also 12.5%.

For those of us that live in the Bloomington Indiana area,

Smittys Discount Pool Supplies

Address: 3300 S Garrison Chapel Rd, Bloomington, IN 47403
Phone: (812) 825-5907
M-F 4:30pm ~ 8pm
Sat 9:30am ~ 3:00pm

We have purchased all our pool chems from Smitty for the last 10 years. Great gentleman, has been selling chemicals and testing water out of his home/garage/climate controlled facility for the last 36 years.

He sells a Case/4 gallons of 12.5% liquid Chlorine for $14.99 ($3.75each) and it's always fresh. (just checked my current case and the date is 5/30/2017)

He sells Muriatic Acid for $5.00 a gallon

Sand was $14.95 per 50# bag US Silica Brand clearly marked for Pools

He does not sell you things, his tests are spot on compared with my own Taylor Testing results. (I test and then immediately drive over to him with the same sample)

Example, my test for CYA was clear all the way up (so I was below 30ppm), his test said I was 10ppm, I used the pool calculator targeting 30ppm and after 36hrs, I was just over 30 as in 31-32.. I round up to 40 but knowing what I know now, I can't ask for much more than that.

I have paid special attention to him this year as I am doing my own testing and was following SLAM, he never mentioned selling me Algaecide or Floc or Clarifier one time.

After seeing folks post about prices for Chlorine, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone in this area.

I have a Rural King in the area who has the 7.99/4 gal deal, but it is a little further out, so if I have to go to Walmart etc before then, how do I know which is the better deal when comparing costs of different concentrations? (3.64/gal 10% or 2.60/gal 6%)? I'm sure there is a formula for this, but I can't find it or figure it out.

I have a Rural King in the area who has the 7.99/4 gal deal, but it is a little further out, so if I have to go to Walmart etc before then, how do I know which is the better deal when comparing costs of different concentrations? (3.64/gal 10% or 2.60/gal 6%)? I'm sure there is a formula for this, but I can't find it or figure it out.
Chlorine price calculator

I've checked prices in Georgia at Walmart, Bob's Do It Best, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Target. Caution with Liquid Chlorine at Walmart tho, all my store had of the single jugs was from 17 107, and saw 2 from 17 056.

25dEQ3MM7BYelXItE64pqgwy9vL3E_qvefMx-3oZ3s-rOx_BBadhKxmuZEuDeN5qTr49ppBGyfRDTzRgoXKQ2xv8MlML-YN35xp3A0OvPcEnz_8jphxbUHHsrW_NzpOwGXUu3iLvNIWPEXC_HDF5yXFMBlyzRAomoSUZ2Q4lBByAJAbzu6ipCrV43ZIpt5LcY48c7zHTFZfV8wFD27QW6n4Qq4yFFxPd1SP4R8s9YllIQXyw0sfvSXQkc16ksH4mk3E_vuJBwUquRFofCxh3tcgqvhd7eJeIagxqQGKAgRggzgN38J6KAz6vsrGPikQitJOOUCBTdmNruvs4NYYH_NLtG9qjFzqK8bbvqkf8_6ysxVbveIeKXjhx3W0_cn9ySduug8bSHi44pLHMaJGoSSwU2lnzDG69keudajP63v1GOKti0_i8nsHvxHu8PcrRXpmLRvVH7eTIrQyaq_A0YMb7la2q9bVPmvyHrrZViUQHmjB9XXwcH2rZM_YO2jS7NcZwRwtedSpzf09EoNaYZe9PF1DuUN1HRfpJtpt7xIs7yI-9z1jpYb_ljtWlVCiUrVp5UYMYO35h6GAHyoGqDRL6lDCBFU8WnhojPSbFjo7yUbuiHmMxuxzF4g=w1024-h373-no

Attachments

• Chlorine.jpg
    Chlorine.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Don't the hardware stores near most of you guys sell 5 gallon jugs of 12.5%? I can get that for $15 and it works out to be less than buying bleach in almost every case. I actually get 2.5 gallon jugs for $8 each because for 50 cents i find them much easier to lug around and easier to pour into the pool.

I'm just curious - i believe in the past i have read it isn't sold in some states.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support