Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine in Dallas, TX

Liquid chlorine is not that easy to find in Dallas. Best sources I have found is Leslie's (4 gallon case of 12.5% for about $22) and Riviera on Lover's Lane for about the same price. Both places are aware of the shelf life issue. During the season WalMart carries 10% for about $4 a gallon but they take it off the shelves in October(why?). Beware of Home Depot who also carries it but I bought a case there that was over a year old I found out later, and it was nothing but expensive water.

Anybody with other Dallas sources please reply.

Just a followup ... In addition to Leslie's in Plano off Preston Rd and Riviera on Lover's Ln who both carry the 12.5% for $22/case of 4 gallons (different brands) and pay attention to shelf life, I found it at Lowe's but in late October the manufacturer's date on the bottles was roughly March of 2017. These had been sitting outside all summer and were likely mostly water by now. Watch out for the dates when buying liquid chlorine in Dallas!!!

North Richland is a bit too far from me to travel for pool supplies.

Make sure that isn't the new version of Clorox 6% as it has polymers in it you don't want in the pool. We're all real sad that they've changed the strength and formula again...<sigh>

Maddie :flower:

Dang, you're right. Checked the ingredients and it is the lower percentage. Walmart has Great Buy bleach that is 8.25% for less than $3 is that brand acceptable. I'm keeping the pool open this winter and will have to use chlorine when the pool temps are too low for the SWG.

In all cases (brands, stores, strengths, etc) is it (has it been) ever possible to buy bleach that has something other than sodium hypochlorite that was not indicated on the label? In other words, if I read the ingredients and only sodium hypochlorite is listed (other than water or whatever the inert ingredient is), then is it safe for my pool? Any brands sneaking in stuff we don't want, hidden from the label?

While I can figure out the expiration date from an internet-available calculator, how about adding some sort of calculator for chlorine age to Pool Math (the app and the web page)? For the app, there's a big ol' space right under the Price calculator, just waiting for such a thing!

Yes. Clorox has the "cloromax technology" stuff that you don't want. It isn't listed in the ingredients but is mentioned on the label. Same with splashless or scented, it won't be listed as an active ingredient. But if the label just says bleach and lists a sodium hypochlorite percentage then you should be set. If it doesn't list a percentage then it is likely weak, like 3% or so.

Adding an age calculator is impossible because how the bottle was stored is a much bigger factor than how long it was stored. A three month bottle stored inside a temperature controlled warehouse will be a lot different strength than one stored outside in the sun and heat. And if you find that three month old bottle in the store you don't know where it was stored so trying to calculate its strength will be impossible unless you buy it and add it to your water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support