Cover for pool

Thump4863

May 13, 2014
Oklahoma City
It will soon be time for me to begin opening my pool. Olive in OK where we have hot summers, but over the past two years that I've had it the pool doesn't seem to get warm enough. It gets sun about 70% of the day with one tree sometimes blocking part of it. I don't want to buy a heater, so was looking into adding a solar cover. 1 do they actually work and 2 if they do which one would be recommended? The highest I've ever seen the water get on its own is about 79 degrees. That's fine during the day when it's hot out, but at night no one wants to swim. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Solar cover is a bad name. What they really do is prevent heat loss due to evaporation and radiation at night. If the winds are calm and the humidity is not very low, you will actually add more heat to the pool by NOT having a cover on it while the sun is hitting the pool. But, then want the cover on at night to hold in the heat.

Generally seems that these covers only last a couple years at most, so usually best just buying the cheapest one you can find.

Just wanted to add that they are pretty effective at helping you keep the pool warmer. The next step would be to add some solar heating panels in addition to the cover to add more heat to the water. But, you may find that the cover helps enough for you liking.

If it is windy, leave the cover on the pool ... the sun will still add heat.
Find a cheap one ... the thicker ones are heavier and more difficult to put on and off and while they claim to have a longer warranty ... they all seem to fail in the same amount of time and the warranty rarely is honored.

Like I mentioned before, they are more for retaining heat by stopping evaporation, so the thickness does not matter at all.

Thin, cheap and clear seem like the best options to me. Thin, lighter and easier to handle. Cheap so you can buy a new one every two years. Clear to let the sun and heat into the pool.

Disclaimer: this opinion was formed by my observations of posts from other people on TFP. I do not own a solar cover because I don't think I would use it and I have a LOT of trees and am nervous about having all that stuff sitting on top of the cover making an even bigger mess.

I like to order pool stuff from sunplay.com.

It will soon be time for me to begin opening my pool. Olive in OK where we have hot summers, but over the past two years that I've had it the pool doesn't seem to get warm enough. It gets sun about 70% of the day with one tree sometimes blocking part of it. I don't want to buy a heater, so was looking into adding a solar cover. 1 do they actually work and 2 if they do which one would be recommended? The highest I've ever seen the water get on its own is about 79 degrees. That's fine during the day when it's hot out, but at night no one wants to swim. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
hi, I have a less expensive cover from lowes, 8mil blue for around $100. I am on my third summer to use it.
but it was abused, first year I accidentally hit one edge and lost about 6" of it. left it on pool during the winter
it had 2" of ice when it rained then froze. wondered if I was better off storing it, just left pool uncovered.
then I walked over it probably breaking many bubbles, cleaning mud off it. (I was new to pools,first one. haha)
second winter/summer I did better. winter, rolled cover up till next year. no more accidents with lawnmower.
it was tough to use two people to roll it up 18X36. read on TFP someone who sliced his up into sections.
cut mine in 1/2 and then 1/2 again, 4 easily handling section by myself. did think about a roll up reel.
but rounded edges and ladder frozen in place the sectioning helped a lot. just South of Nashville by
putting the cover on at nights heated my pool up to the point at about 97 degrees.
my filter is sitting in the sun, painted flat black first year helped to warm the pool. second year after
feeling hot car paint I painted my sand filter with a deep Maroon and it heats up my water almost 3 degrees!
that helped a lot. inground pool I just remove, roll up during the day, let the sun warm the water.
cool nights when not in use, roll covers across the pool laying them in the water as I roll them back out.
they roll up as I lift them up to waist height, lay on surrounding concrete walk way then roll. it helps
to keep the bubbles from breaking.
note when it hit the 97 degrees, I almost got sick it was so hot. (left it off the next few days.) I spent 2-3 hours swimming daily.
I am now looking into possibly a new one. cheap wally world one says not to use where more than 3ppm chlorine as I guess it will destroy the cover.
mine has split a couple of 6" holes now. did find a link to solarcovers.com on here.
hope this helps some answers. I sometimes wonder if people's filters were what heated their pools up not the covers.
Some people use a reel to roll up the cover. Is a reel necessary? Any recommendations for a good reel?
usually you start your own thread with your question or search for answers.
but my 18X36 rounded edges I do not have one. read above answer to first main question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi bobodaclown,
What reel did you end up using, Saw your video but did not see reel in it . If I read your posts correctly you bought reel after installed the cover. Any pics of reel in place? is reel in middle or end, does it work with all your pieces?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.