BBB for Beginners

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
I to just got a new pool! Well we begin to fill tomorrow. Been lurking until now and studying alot online. I think the TFPC / BBB method is for me. So my first question is do I not need the chlorine tablet feeder they installed? Is it possible to use the TFPC method along with the tablet feeder or am I defeating the purpose of TFPC?

Message moved by Divin Dave - TFP Moderator

I would only use the feeder when you are found to be gone for an extended time. For daily chlorination, I say, just stick to TFPC.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to TFP !
To be able to practice our methods your going to need one of these Test Kits.
I use the TF 100. It's the best value.
The pucks have their place like when your on vacation and can't manually dose with bleach if you go that route.
If you haven't already, make sure to take some time and take a look at these two articles from Pool School.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool.
Any question you have ask away.

Welcome to the forum rph,

Having the In-line chlorinator would be fine for limited use as Jeff mentions. It's only when you use it as your permanent and sole source of chlorine that you get into trouble. If you want it, it wouldn't defeat the purpose of what we teach.

Mostly what that amounts too, is learning what different chemicals are for, what they do, and what side effects adding them brings to your pool. By a pretty good margin, the most common problem we see here is people with high Cya/over stabilized pools. That happens because people used pucks and "shock" as the primary chlorine source which adds that compound. It's by far the most common side effect problem we see.

We stress the basics first, learning, understanding, and testing. Begin with the ABCs in pool school, and work your way from there.

Here's how I'm using my inline puck chlorinator....I filled my pool last December. My SWG isn't very effective with the cold temperatures we've had this winter, so I'm using pucks until whichever comes first:
a) water gets consistently warm enough for SWG; or
b) my CYA gets up to my target value

Since I get my CYA from the pucks, I haven't had to purchase any stabilizer. In fact, I plan to use my inline feeder to keep my CYA at target levels throughout the summer as I replace water that gets splashed out. With a house-full of kids and dogs, we lose a lot of water in addition to the regular Houston evaporation.

So pucks-n-inline feeders aren't completely evil. Just mostly evil.

That tablet feeder is just another tool in your arsenal to properly manage your pool. Gonna be gone for a few days--------use it. Need to raise CYA a bit--------use it.

Here's how I'm using my inline puck chlorinator....I filled my pool last December. My SWG isn't very effective with the cold temperatures we've had this winter, so I'm using pucks until whichever comes first:
a) water gets consistently warm enough for SWG; or
b) my CYA gets up to my target value

Since I get my CYA from the pucks, I haven't had to purchase any stabilizer. In fact, I plan to use my inline feeder to keep my CYA at target levels throughout the summer as I replace water that gets splashed out. With a house-full of kids and dogs, we lose a lot of water in addition to the regular Houston evaporation.

So pucks-n-inline feeders aren't completely evil. Just mostly evil.

I like this idea to get CYA and chlorine from pucks when it is cold. I am buying bleach and stabilizer at the moment. I will try this next.

But, seriously, how can water evaporate with 200% humidity? A bunch of my outlaws live in Houston and I think the air fills their pools.
:laughblue:

But, seriously, how can water evaporate with 200% humidity? A bunch of my outlaws live in Houston and I think the air fills their pools.
:laughblue:

I'm sure that during the humid summertime there is a net flux of water from air into the pool. The water level probably goes down when the various Gulf Coast bugs come out at night to slake their thirst. Have you seen the size of the insects that we have around here? They're probably draining my pool dry. Sometimes I'm worried that my pug might get carried off by one of those things!

Thanks for all the replies. It is now 2 weeks since first filling pool and I have not been able to get Ph below 7.8 for any length of time ( I add about 16-20 oz per day ). IT JUST KEEPS RAINING !!!. I guess this is normal because of dilution. My pool builder has said no chlorine yet because Pebble Sheen is curing and still "shedding". The water is crystal clear though! I have an elavated spa that has a water fall. Do you think the aereation it causes is not letting my Ph go lower?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the replies. It is now 2 weeks since first filling pool and I have not been able to get Ph below 7.8 for any length of time ( I add about 16-20 oz per day ). IT JUST KEEPS RAINING !!!. I guess this is normal because of dilution. My pool builder has said no chlorine yet because Pebble Sheen is curing and still "shedding". The water is crystal clear though! I have an elavated spa that has a water fall. Do you think the aereation it causes is not letting my Ph go lower?
yes, the waterfall aeration causes the pH to rise - but it is probably the curing plaster that is causing more of it. It will continue during your first year before it settles down

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.